• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Detroit Locker Question

scottmcwms

Loc.
Montgomery, TX
I bought a used 9" Detroit Locker. I installed 4.56 gears and set them up with the proper backlash (6-9 thousandths). I installed the axles and when I turned the pinion both axles turned the same direction. So everything looks good.

I installed the wheels and tires and put the Bronco back on the ground. Now I can turn the pinion 5-10 degrees before it stops in either direction. I know something isn't right. I shouldn't be able to turn the pinion very much.

Any ideas on what is happening, or is this normal? I have never had a Detroit before.

Scott

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
A Detroit isn't a spool, and isn't locked solid all of the time. You can make it do some pretty strange stuff, particularly with the wheels off the ground. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Ditto lockers will tend to have some play as long as your sure the gears are setup right you are good to go

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
detriot

What you are feeling is the movement of the differential from reverse to forward. If you look at a picture of any locker you will see that the dog clucthes have to disengage. The 1/16 inch or so of movement equates to the pinion movement you are seeing.

I put a drop in locker in my 44 and took the cover off to look at it when it did the same thing to me. When the sytem is fully engaged forward with everything tight, the dog clucthes are fully engaged. When you move it until it locks in the reverse direction you can see (in the case of the drop in) what was the spider gear shaft move from driving forward to drivng in reverse. It needs this slop to engage and disenge.

This slop is normal and is also the cause of most driveability complaints.

If you are running a standard transmission you will need to learn to slip the clutch a little and take out the slop at every stop. Otherwise every once in a while you will get a big surprise. Especially if you are make I sharp turn while starting.

But it is all worth it when you need it.

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
And if auto, watch when you park, it will roll a foot before everything locks up.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:p :p :p Mine also has some back lash with the wheels on the ground has been like that for the last 30 years must be OK good luck with your's.%) %) %) Bill %) :cool: ;D

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
Actaully that's how i got mine for free ;D
Dad always had 4 spds and put this one with an auto and swore it was busted from the slack. I have been loving it for a few years ;D

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
X9 that's what Detroits do. I have a nice Power Point I made a few years ago about how they work. Pretty simple design though, and I haven't had any complaints running one for 4 years now.