• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Difference Between '72 and '73 Manual Trans Shift Linkage and Bushings?

bulletpruf

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Working on a '72 with a manual trans. Shift linkage is wonky and bushings were MIA at the column so I ordered new bushings from TBP for both ends of the linkage (steering column and trans). Appears to be the same parts for both sets (different part number but visually identical).
https://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/pro...ps-manual-66-72-early-ford-bronco-new-per-kit

Tried to install and really difficult to get the rubber part of the bushing in at the column. Tore one up trying to install; bushing just seems to be too large for the hole. Then I looked at the trans, and linkage attaches differently there.

I'm thinking I have the later type of trans/bushings - I should have something like this -- https://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/pro...or-automatic-73-77-early-ford-bronco-new-each

How can I tell which shift linkage that I have?

If I have the right bushings, is there a trick to installing these?

Thanks,

Scott

Attachments

• IMG_3950.jpg
    IMG_3950.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3951.jpg
    IMG_3951.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3954.jpg
    IMG_3954.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 31

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not sure by looking at it, but it sure sounds like the different ones if they were that hard to install.
What month was your Bronco built in? Does it still have the certification label on the driver's door pillar? That will say what month.
Just curious if it was a later build in that model year and you got the running change to the '73 style.

Hopefully someone will have a more definitive answer. In the meantime, back to the top.

Good luck.

OP
OP
bulletpruf

bulletpruf

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Hi Paul -

Thanks for the reply.

It's titled as a '72, but it was built October 1972, so it's likely a '73.

I'll probably go to my storage unit to check the linkage on my '69 just to be sure.

Scott

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep, that's a late one for sure. But it's probably still a legit '72. In that transition the '72's ran abnormally late in the year before the '73's were officially started. And even then, there was a little bit of back and forth crossing over. Viperwolf1 started a thread you might have seen called "Mind Your P's and Q's" and you should go check it out if you have not already.

Sounds like yours might be a "P" then. Is the 6th digit in your VIN a P by any chance? Or a Q?

Paul

OP
OP
bulletpruf

bulletpruf

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Yep, that's a late one for sure. But it's probably still a legit '72. In that transition the '72's ran abnormally late in the year before the '73's were officially started. And even then, there was a little bit of back and forth crossing over. Viperwolf1 started a thread you might have seen called "Mind Your P's and Q's" and you should go check it out if you have not already.

Sounds like yours might be a "P" then. Is the 6th digit in your VIN a P by any chance? Or a Q?

Paul

Paul -

I posted in that thread, but I can't recall what the consensus was, if there was one.

Anyway, mine is P89XXX.

Thanks,

Scott

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Measure the diameter of the hole. The early one uses a 3/4 inch diameter hole, and the 73 uses a smaller hole. (I don't have one here to measure for you...) The picture of the rod end that is in your hand looks like the later bushing style.

No need to worry about whether you Bronco is a 72, or a 73. It was built in October of 72. By then, the bushing change would have already been implemented.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Your photos look like the linkages on my '73 which uses the same bushings as the automatic linkage - the second link in your original post.

OP
OP
bulletpruf

bulletpruf

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Thanks. The hole isn't anywhere near 3/4".

I ordered some of the other bushings from TBP. I usually patronize Wild Horses, but they don't carry these.

OP
OP
bulletpruf

bulletpruf

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Ok, so the bushings from TBP arrived today. I ordered a few extra in case I mangled any on the install and it never hurts to have spares.

Anyway, these are the correct bushings -- the linkage hole and the OD of the bushing are both just a tad over 1/2". Got it all hooked up and it's shifting fine! I'll fiddle with the adjustment a bit, but appears to be really close right now.

Thanks for all the input!

Scott

Attachments

• IMG_3994.jpg
    IMG_3994.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3995.jpg
    IMG_3995.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3996.jpg
    IMG_3996.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 8