• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Difference btwn 31' and 33' tires on highway

Dave_in_Texas

Loc.
Denton, TX
I'm curious, say you have 31 inch tires and your RPMs are 3,000 at 55 MPH. If you put 33 inch tires on, at what speed would you hit 3,000 RPMs? Do you "gain" 5 MPH at the same RPM level?

Thanks,

Dave

vintage bronco

3.50 ratio with 31in tire at 3,000 rpm = 77 mph
3.50 ratio with 33in tire at 3,000 rpm = 82 mph
so yes you gain approx 5 mph

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And just to mention it again, even if you already know this, but the larger tire is also heavier, with more rubber on the road and, potentially at least, slightly more rolling resistance.
So that minor rpm difference "feels" a lot more than it really is.
Your acceleration and braking will be effected more than the simple speed numbers will indicate. Not enough perhaps to dissuade you from the change, as a huge number of people are running that size on a Bronco, but it's worth mentioning at least.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
yeah, no kiddin' there! Heck, I can't even remember half of it. And I was great with math in school too. Favorite subjects all the way through in fact. But forgot more than I'll ever know.
And, when said like that, it's bad...

Paul

mitzel

Contributor
Loc.
Googleplex
33"/31"=1.065 => 6.5% increase in diameter and circumference.
At same RPM you'll be going 6.5% faster than before.
At same MPH engine will be spinning 6.5% slower than before.