• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Differing VINs on frame

DC_Gearhead

Anybody ever had different VINs stamped on their frame. The numbers are exactly the same except for one side says U14.... and the other side says U15....

Title and glove box say U15. Seems odd tho.

68c2495955d8b8e7ca0929ed26865b3f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
74a55d01376827155f79a0176462c0b2.jpg

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Yes, Ford made mistakes when building them. The good part for you is the sequence number on the end is a match. So long as one of them matches the title you are good to go.

If you go to pull a Marti report, only one number will come back as valid.

OP
OP
DC_Gearhead

DC_Gearhead

Yes, Ford made mistakes when building them. The good part for you is the sequence number on the end is a match. So long as one of them matches the title you are good to go.

If you go to pull a Marti report, only one number will come back as valid.

Interesting. Yeah I’m not worried. I just thought it was interesting. Must have been a Friday afternoon build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

House

Minutia Militia
I know of one that the glovebox and frame don’t match just like that...
U14 vs U15, all other numbers are the same.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Didn't know the VIN was on anything other than the passenger side frame

I had 2 on the PS frame. One up front by the charcoal filter, the other was back by the front rear spring mount.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I had 2 on the PS frame. One up front by the charcoal filter, the other was back by the front rear spring mount.

Yeah that's what we're saying, all on the passenger side, none on the driver side. Unless I'm not understanding the OP, it sounds like one is on the passenger side and the other on the driver side.

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
This is actually not uncommon. I’ve seen it several times.

The rare mistakes are when the metal data tag is mis-stamped. I’ve seen the engine code be wrong on that.

OP
OP
DC_Gearhead

DC_Gearhead

Yeah that's what we're saying, all on the passenger side, none on the driver side. Unless I'm not understanding the OP, it sounds like one is on the passenger side and the other on the driver side.

Yep, one on each side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
It seems as though the OP's original question was addressed but what I am now interested in is this so-called second ID by the driver's side front rear spring hanger. Say what? In all the years and all the times that the question has come up about the location of the frame VIN numbers no one has ever mentioned this. I want to know more.