• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Disc brake hoses front ?

86caprirs

Loc.
Chestermere, Alberta
I just installed the 79 disc brake setup on my 74 Bronco. What do I need to connect the brake caliper hoses to the 74 hard brake lines? Does the caliper flex hose unbolt from the original 79 Bronco brake line where the bracket bolts to the axle tube?

I also have a piece missing from the front brakes. It is what connects the axle to the rotor hub for 4x4. Is this part interchangeable between 79- 96 F-150's/Bronco's?

And one last quick question. Before i took the brakes apart, i pushes on the brake pedal and noticed that the rear wheel cyl did not move. Could it bee as simple as siezed wheel cyl in the rear or a proportioning valve issue?

Thanks

Last edited:

cupcake

What hub locks are you running? original spicers or warn style? Yes that part is interchangable but it needs to be from the same style of hub.

It could be a seizes wheel cylinder. Take it out and see.

OP
OP
86caprirs

86caprirs

Loc.
Chestermere, Alberta
Well they are some name I have not heard...Spearco? What I am talking about is the part that the hub bolts to with the allen key screws. It looks the same as what I have on my 95 F-150.

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had napa looked up the banjo bolt for 79 f150 caliper to measure 3/8 x 24. If the stock bronco banjo bolts has the same measurement, then you should be able to use the hose on the f150/bronco caliper.

OP
OP
86caprirs

86caprirs

Loc.
Chestermere, Alberta
There is no banjo bolt on these calipers. The brake hose threads into the caliper.

I have seen guys do the swaps on here but for some reason no one says anything about the brake hoses used. All i want to know is what brake hose to use with the 79 caliper on my 74 bronco that was originally drum brakes.

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Really. Hose threads to the caliper. Do you have the original hose? This way you can just test fit.

Eugene

OP
OP
86caprirs

86caprirs

Loc.
Chestermere, Alberta
Yeah, i have the original 79 hose still attatched to the caliper. It just has the hard lines attatched to it also which seems to be a one piece. The only info i have found is using a Blazer brake hose...but it is also a banjo style too. I didn't think it was going to be this hard. Maybe I have to switch back to drums and sell the Bronco. It would be so muck easier to swap a solid axle D44 into a 90's Bronco.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You sure that you're not making this more difficult than it has to be? The same caliper was used on a variety of application from 1973 to 1979, including the 76-77 Broncos. I have them on my '77 EB and '77 F150 and both of them use a 3/8-24 banjo bolt at the caliper to attach the bnajo fitting of the hose.

The PU hoses are swaged to the axle hard lines (at least the long one is) and one assembly like you describe, whereas the EB's used separate hard lines that terminated with a 7/16-24 inverted flare and mated with a flex hose. It's possible those aren't the original hoses on the '79 housing. Considering it's almost just as easy to fab up your own hard lines and then buy a suitable hose to match, either OE or aftermarket, that's probably the direction I would go.

Tobin

OP
OP
86caprirs

86caprirs

Loc.
Chestermere, Alberta
Well I may have to get pics,but nobody has said when they did the swap that they had to fab up brake lines or use this flex hose to the caliper. I guess I will have to look at it again to see what I have.

Doyle

Bronco Guru
BC Broncos has the flex lines, in braided stainless, and the banjo bolts for this application. They also have the lines and bolts to upgrade to the Tbird calipers if you choose to go that route. I used knuckles and caliper holders off a 78 Bronco and it had banjo bolts.

OP
OP
86caprirs

86caprirs

Loc.
Chestermere, Alberta
Damnit! I was looking at them wrong... Ok they do have the banjo bolts. My bad. An the hard lines are some how attached to the flex hoses and I can't get them free.But I did notice that the l/s caliper was really loose in the spindle. I also noticed that the caliper contacts the axle on a full lock to lock turn.

Ok so what brake hoses do I use then? The ones from a 76-77 Bronco? I am looking at the cheap way to do this so I can take her out to the offroad park.Not cheap as in unsafe but as in the stock flex hose not the braided steel ones.