• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

disc brake question- outer shafts?

roccolukasik

Loc.
Ohio Michigan border
I have everything ready to go for my front disc brake swap I do have one last question.I am doing the 79 bronco disc brake swap from the knuckles out my question is this, are the outer shafts the same on my 73 dana44 as the 79 dana44 can I use my existing outershafts or do I have to use the outer shafts from the 79? thanks for your help.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I also did the 79 brakes on my 73 and used stock EB axles no problems.
The outer shafts from the 79 wont fit the EB inner shafts the Ujoint is bigger. But you can use the short side shaft from the 79 it should fit perfectly. The long side can be cut down and resplined.

Also I ended up doing a TRO swap later on as I developed a small amount of bump steer with a 2.5in lift. The steering arm on the 79 knuckles is a bit lower than the stock EB knuckles.