• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Distributor Help

BroncoBub

Since I have a 95 Mustang engine and will be using it in my 75 Bronco. Could I get some suggestions on what distributor/coil/ignition box to use. My truck will be more of a everyday driver not much off road at all. Also since this is a 95 engine what application to look up for the distributor. I have no clue on selecting this. Help will be much appreciated. Also the carb will be my next venture as well. Not sure what to put on it. I'll be using my stock 2 barrel manifold also. I know a lot of talk about the Motorcraft 2150 carb being a good one to use. What would be a second choice when it comes to after market carbs. Thanks

Bub

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
the second choice would probably Edelbrock for a street carb and the Quadrajet if you dealing with serious off road. I personally use the Quadrajet. all 3 of the carbs do not share the same intake manifolds. Carbs are an extremely personal choice and if not properls set-up and tuned they work poorly. if you cant or wont tune a carb stick with the stock Bronco carb it is the most forgiving of the available options.

OP
OP
BroncoBub

BroncoBub

the second choice would probably Edelbrock for a street carb and the Quadrajet if you dealing with serious off road. I personally use the Quadrajet. all 3 of the carbs do not share the same intake manifolds. Carbs are an extremely personal choice and if not properls set-up and tuned they work poorly. if you cant or wont tune a carb stick with the stock Bronco carb it is the most forgiving of the available options.

Its finding a 2150 not chinese made is the hard part.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
bigger problem finding one calibrated for the Bronco. Try your local car part swapmeets the ford 2150 show up a fair amount but remember you looking for a 1.08 venturi its stamped on the side of the carb. Then you will probably rejet it for the bronco engine and add the float rebound spring that car and truck carbs didn't have. sometimes you have to buy a few to make one decent carb.

OP
OP
BroncoBub

BroncoBub

bigger problem finding one calibrated for the Bronco. Try your local car part swapmeets the ford 2150 show up a fair amount but remember you looking for a 1.08 venturi its stamped on the side of the carb. Then you will probably rejet it for the bronco engine and add the float rebound spring that car and truck carbs didn't have. sometimes you have to buy a few to make one decent carb.

Ok Thanks

Eoth

Bronco Guru
So you are going to remove the EFI and go carb?
Going to need a 84/85 mustang distributor (must be steel gear NOT cast iron).
You can go HEI but there are clearance issues (I made it work).
Need electric fuel pump and safety cut-off device.
Also will need 302 valve covers and Bronco Oil Pan (with oil pickup)

Eoth

Bronco Guru
Just personal experience... I took a EFI engine (Explorer) and slapped a carb on it thinking it would be simpler. It ran ok, but not to my satisfaction... Eventually I installed a FITECH unit and couldn't be happier. But if I had to do it all over again.... I would have kept it Ford EFI.

OP
OP
BroncoBub

BroncoBub

So you are going to remove the EFI and go carb?
Going to need a 84/85 mustang distributor (must be steel gear NOT cast iron).
You can go HEI but there are clearance issues (I made it work).
Need electric fuel pump and safety cut-off device.
Also will need 302 valve covers and Bronco Oil Pan (with oil pickup)

It came without the efi on it so yes I was going to use the stock 2 barrel intake on it plus use a manual fuel pump. I have the correct timing cover for it. SO I was just trying to figure out what distributor I could run on it. (What years etc..) I'm trying to keep it stock appearing as well. Will be running stock belts as well.

Last edited:

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Any distributor is going to need to have the advances curved for your particular engine.
For a Duraspark distributor, I use this shop in Tacoma. They provide a rebuilt distributor for either a flat tappet or roller cam. You tell them what your engine build, transmission, gear ratio, weight and use. They use a program to select the proper curve. You receive a rebuilt Duraspark all properly recurved, along with a recommended timing advance setting.
Pretty much plug-n-play. I think mine was only about $160.
http://parklandautomachine.com/