• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Do Explorer Rear Disks fit 15" Wheels?

gclauson

Contributor
Has anyone had 15" wheel clearance problems with the Explorer rear disk brake conversion?

Interference with OEM wheels or aftermarket? Stick-on wheel weights?

I'd like to know before I purchase and find problems.

Gary

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Has anyone had 15" wheel clearance problems with the Explorer rear disk brake conversion?

Interference with OEM wheels or aftermarket? Stick-on wheel weights?

I'd like to know before I purchase and find problems.

Gary

I haven't heard of any problems with them fitting with various wheels.

Todd Z.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
I haven't heard of any problems with them fitting with various wheels.

Todd Z.
Well, since they came from the factory with 15's...they had better fit.

Coincidentally, the TJ rear disc uses the same rear brake offset (2.5 inch) and caliper mounts. (just different housing bore and bolt pattern.) I always thought that they ran 16's to clear the rear calipers...but it turns out that the TJ Sport ran 15's.

I just happen to be converting a set of TJ disc caliper mounts to big bearing 9 inch for my 70 Bronco...I was pleasantly surprised to see that they are the same.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Well, since they came from the factory with 15's...they had better fit.

Coincidentally, the TJ rear disc uses the same rear brake offset (2.5 inch) and caliper mounts. (just different housing bore and bolt pattern.) I always thought that they ran 16's to clear the rear calipers...but it turns out that the TJ Sport ran 15's.

I just happen to be converting a set of TJ disc caliper mounts to big bearing 9 inch for my 70 Bronco...I was pleasantly surprised to see that they are the same.
Well, you would think, and then I'd have to tell in great agonizing detail about the dark and stormy night back in Jan '94 when I discovered many miles from Nowheresville that my 15" steel wheels didn't clear the Lincoln Mark V rear disc calipers that I had just installed on my Bronco.

I haven't inspected them in great detail, but it's always been my belief that the TJ rear discs and Explorer rear discs are virtually identical. And I think the WJ stuff is pretty similar too. And if you can find the brackets for the not-super-common Explorer Sport Trac rear discs, you can run the slightly larger rear rotor too.

Todd Z.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Well, you would think, and then I'd have to tell in great agonizing detail about the dark and stormy night back in Jan '94 when I discovered many miles from Nowheresville that my 15" steel wheels didn't clear the Lincoln Mark V rear disc calipers that I had just installed on my Bronco.

I haven't inspected them in great detail, but it's always been my belief that the TJ rear discs and Explorer rear discs are virtually identical. And I think the WJ stuff is pretty similar too. And if you can find the brackets for the not-super-common Explorer Sport Trac rear discs, you can run the slightly larger rear rotor too.

Todd Z.
Anyone who owns a 1968 Ford Intermediate knows that there is exactly zero collaboration between Kelsey Hayes, Bendix, and Motor Wheel with respect to wheel and brake compatibility. Even Ford's own 14 inch wheel came in two varieties on the SAME platform. The "disc" wheel would fit both disc and drum. The drum wheel would not. This tidbid off trivia is usually also discovered may miles from Nowheresville...when the spare won't fit. I am pleased to learn that this insanity and woefully incompetent engineering circus was perpetuated until at least 1978 in the Lincoln. You have restored my faith in engineering silos.

As a side note, the TJ rear disc uses the smaller set10 bearing. So the caliper mount index is 2.875. The BB-9 is of course 3.150 diameter. So I'm going to bore these out and will share some pics. I'm on the fence whether to pattern the housing end to Torino style, or Old style. But since the access hole in my axle won't pass a 3/4 socket...the solution is becoming more clear. (and yes, I know that the TJ Dana 44 disc mounts are more rare and valuable than explorer. but I have theses, and I'm too lazy to go get Explorer ones...)

Sorry to the OP for the threadjack.

OP
OP
G

gclauson

Contributor
Thanks, everyone for the fast replies. That is good news to hear!
I was a bit concerned because I saw somewhere that the Exploders had 16" wheels, but I'm glad they had 15", too.

I agree on the OEM wheel comment, James. My 1966 OEM wheels would not clear the calipers on my front Chevy disk brake conversion, but newer Broncos don't have the problem. Luckily, I went was planning on aftermarket 15x8, anyway.

Gary