• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Do I need to keep my original rear brake drums?

valveamp

Needed to take off the rear drums to adjust the brakes and check them. I noticed that one of the drums was scored and needed to be turned on a lathe. The other drum was smooth. This must have been due to a previous problem as the brake shoes had plenty of pad left on both sides. Anyway, it was a sunday and the only place around to get drums turned was my local NAPA store. Unfortunately, when I got there, the lathe guy had just left. I was faced with waiting or buying new drums, which is what I did. So, I have the original 11" drums. My question, should I keep them? Are the originals far better than any new ones today? The new drums seem to be working great. I'm running out of room to store used original parts. Just wanted to see what you guys thoughts. Thanks.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
If they were too worn you would had have to buy new drums anyway - so --

OP
OP
V

valveamp

Yes, I'm aware they could be too worn to run on a lathe, but I don't have a caliper good long enough to measure the diameter. I guess the question is, if they have sufficient metal left, should I keep them for the future or recycle them? Keeping them, I guess, means that there is an advantage to having the original drums, or Ford parts, in stead of the aftermarket, offshore parts. Are they better? My truck is not an all original factory car. It's been modified and upgraded already. This isn't a big issue, I just wanted some thoughts before I dump them.

doghows72

Bronco Guru
I would scrap them. Unless you want to turn them and keep as backups.
But how much did new ones cost? No real benefit to the old ones I know of.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Probably better material than the new ones, but you'd likely never feel the difference in performance on the rear of an EB.
That said, someone doing a religious restoration of an EB might like them if they're still usable. So my take on it is if you can determine that they're both within specs for being resurfaced at least one more time, they might be worth decent money to someone doing a resto job.

Find out on your end first, then post up in the classifieds. Yeah, it's more hassle and you might not get a result right away, but it's cool to help out someone doing a restoration and you might make back your replacement money to boot.
But for you personally, like the others I don't see much to say keep them for the future.

Paul

rmk57

There should be a max measurement cast into the drum if it's an original Ford drum. Take it to your local brake shop and get them to measure it to see if it's still within tolerance.

OP
OP
V

valveamp

Yes, the cast number is Max Diameter=11.09". along with "FOMOCO". Thanks, guys, I think you confirmed what I was thinking.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
refinish OEM, always better than new junk stuff nowdays.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Personally I would machine them and seal them up. And pack them away. I doubt 20 years from now you will be able to buy 11 x 1-3/4 drums. 75 was the last year made and the Ford production truck line went to much wider drums which were much more common. Those drums will probably still be common. The Bronco oddball 10 and 11 inch drums wont carry on forever. Just doesnt make economic sence. Especially when you factor in disc brake conversions reducing sales even more.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
the new drums and rotors are all low quality chinese stuff

Id turn the old ones and reuse em if they arent too worn out