• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Do I need to keep track of the pushrods?

Bundy

Bronco Guru
just wondering, my heads are ready to come off and if i am getting new valve seats and guides i don't need to keep track of anything like which cylinders thevpushrods came from do i? if anything, just which cylinder the valves go to?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
If the pushrods are all in good condition it doesn't matter. Valves will need to be reground when new seats are put in so they don't matter either.

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
Don't worry about the valves. They should be all recut to seat to the new valves seats. In other words a valve job should be done when the guides are done.

I always tried to keep the push rods in order. Does it really matter, I don't think so. Now if you go through all this trouble you need to keep the rocker arms in order. If neither are kept in order then don't worry about and just put it back together and run it.

OP
OP
Bundy

Bundy

Bronco Guru
ok cool. there is probably no real reason to replace the valves if unless there was some sort of failure, right? should i replace the lifters since i have everything apart? it is just a retainer holding them all down and you just pop em out and pop new ones in or am i dreaming of things being too easy?

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
If you have a retainer holding the lifers in then you must have a late model engine with a roller cam. NO i would not change the lifters and this goes for either a flat tappet or roller lifter set up. A new flat tappet cam, then yes new lifters.

The valves would only be replaced if the seat is in to bad of shape to resurface. Again this is one of those points where you ask yourself how far do I go. Stainless vales, port the heads and so on.