• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Do they make a bugshield for EB's?

4lofun

WOW.. if they do????? don't get one....:( but if you do need one. I would look at some on vehicles that have a similar curve back and length . Sad part is that most newer vehicles are not straight across like our EB's are.

4lofun

oh so its not a windshield??? its a bug shield lol...... I retract my statement from before...WE all need a bug shield or a foldown shield and googles

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
I hope not!!! Now adays there put on for looks (but they look horrible to me), im not sure why they were ever invented except to make money and as a easy bolt on mod for guys that have no skill at actually making there own better mods.

Not so funny story...one day i test drove a old school suburban that was modified with one ton axles, and lifted with 35's, and all blacked out. SWEET truck!! I got out and as i came around the front of the truck my shirt caught the bugshield and snapped it in half! I reached in my wallet, handed the guy a hundred dollar bill, and said "sorry bout the bugshield, nice truck, but im not interested." He was kind of pissed but whats a guy to do. Im sure he took the shield off and spent the hundred on something else.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
^^^

I did something similar, I was walking around my brother's truck and slipped on some mud (steep incline) and I reached out only to grab his bug shield... We all know how well that went...

TN1776

Bronco Guru
My old Blazer had one on it that I later took off. I am pretty sure it did nothing to deflect bugs (except for maybe only on the leading edge of the hood). It also caused some weird air currents at different speeds resulting in some odd vibration noises.

John Marinan

Contributor
Loc.
Durango CO.
My 86 Chevy truck came with one. It was straight up about 6", and tinted green, it really did keep 3/4 of the window bug free, even on the worst bug days. I took so much crap about it, I took it off.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Old story...

I bought my '68 back in 1976 and it came with vacuum wipers (can you spell
"s t u p i d"--Ford engineers) anyway, I lived in snow country, it was the daily driver, and the vacuum wipers could NEVER clean the windshield during heavy snows.

I made a bug shield out of clear plexiglass and it worked great. At speeds over 35mph or so the snow never hit the glass but would pile up under the front overhang on the top.

Ugly, functional...oh, and cheeeep... college days. ;)

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Growing up in the midwest I used to run them on the big old blazers, during the spring and summer evenings the windsheild would get filled up with bugs and crap. Installed the bug deflector and it would deposit most of the bugs on the top portion of the windshield channel. worked well for snow too. I agree they are kinda cheesy but in my experience the old school worked.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Back in the day I use to run one. I still have it in my Garage. at 55mph it was worth 1 mile per gallon gain and everything went over the roof. No more rain on the windshield at speed and the wiper blades didnt try to find a way over the top. It worked very well for what it was worth. It made it a pain to close the hood and at 60 mph it didn't work so well and left the bugs at the top of the cab. On the trail when on steep climbs it was one more thing blocking vision. its just a piece of history now. They came in several colors mine was blue same as my blue Bronco.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have one on my show truck. Vintage "Dee Zee" model I think it is..

I can't really say much about how effective it is or not until I get more than just first gear working...

Attachments

• bug deflector.jpg
    bug deflector.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 48

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
In some states you can't run the Red or Blue bug shields because they mimic emergency vehicle colors for light bars and stripes.
And at night with lights reflecting off of and through them, they can REALLY look like a cop light bar!

But I have to agree with those that found success with them. I sold them for years, and while I got both positive and negative feedback from customers, I would still say that at least 75% of it was positive. Especially from the owners of the '87-'91 Ford trucks.
First time a guy came back from a trip to Montana and back, and had a thick line of dead bugs at the top 3 inches or so of windshield, he bought several more for his and his friend's rigs. Then, when they'd go round the country towing their horse trailers and whatnot, they were extremely happy.

They stopped recommending them for Jeeps with soft tops though, because the turbulence created over the top would whip the soft top all over the place, and over time, even damage the material.
So any Bronco owner contemplating a bug shield, might be aware of that if they run a soft top.

Paul