• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Do you lube your heims?

Bundy

Bronco Guru
After a good rain and sitting for a month I drove the Bronco around and the steering sounds like a haunted house. I read a bit on the web about lubricating them and saw many different suggestions. I read that you should avoid using anything dirt and grime will stick to like WD40.

Do you lube your heims? If so what do you use?

ENDLIFE

I don't use anything on mine, but if I did I would use a dry lubricant. A gentleman with a Toyota that we trail ride with smears grease on his heims, then a little rubber cup to hold the grease in heats it up with a heat gun till the grease seeps in the joint. I'm not sure about the play he has in his heims but they made no noise.

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
Sooooo.......Most modern heim joints have a teflon (or similar) liner and they are self lubricating. If they are fairly new they *should* be maintenance free. Heating them with a torch will only serve to melt the liner and make them extremely loose and noisy. See above.

anyway, they should require no lubrication. If they are noisy they are probably bad or the noise is coming from elsewhere.

Rockin69er

Mine always squeaked after a rain. Everyone says they are worn out if they do. I changed them out and the new one did the same after the first rain. I bought another set and had a machinist at work mic all three sets. They were all the same. I now spray them with a silicone lube or WD-40, wait at least an hour then wipe off the outside with a rag and brake cleaner. That will last about 6 months (it doesn't rain much in AZ). This includes the steering heims and the ones on the end of my Cage arms. I have been doing this for 5 years.

OP
OP
Bundy

Bundy

Bronco Guru
I live close to the beach so everything rusts after about 45 minutes outside so the rain is especially brutal. How can you tell if a heim is worn out?

357Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Hampsha
I use Amsoil Metal Protector. It dries to a wax like state, and doesn't really attract dust. It's just like Bel Ray chain lube, for all the guys who grew up with chain drive ATV's and dirt bikes.

welndmn

Bronco Guru
You're really not supposed to lube them, but after I pressure wash the truck after a weekend of wheeling, I normally spray a little wd40 on them. It drys and goes away in a few day, I think I mainly do it to not let my hard water ruin the ball. It could just be in my head too.

ENDLIFE

No torch, just a heat gun, and some grease. I don't like using a torch on anything that moves. He does use rubber heim boots to keep his lube in after he greases up his heims, I looked at the boots but other CB members say to avoid them.