• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Does a manual choke need a heat tube ?

Jonboy69

I have a 69 with the stock 302, stock carb & choke set up. I am wondering if it needs to have any type of eat tube that comes off the exhaust manifold to the carb like the later carbs do with electric choke ? It seems to be a bit slow to warm up & hesitates a bit until fully warm. Of course it appears to also run very cool so I am wondering if my thermostat might be stuck open too since it rarely gets above 170 or so.

rsharpnm

Loc.
Las Cruces
Nope - if you're talking about the small, thin heat tube that rises up to the choke housing on the carb. If you've gone manual choke, there is no reason to have that tube any more.

The time it takes to warm up varies on where you live. If you're in the desert like me, it doesn't take long. But if you're parked in Fargo... well...;)

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
X2 manual choke setups dont need the tube.
Your t stat might be stuck open or you have a low temp t stat installed. But in cold climates I've also had to block off part of the radiator to get heat to build up.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Those, and other tune-up factors could be at work. When I bought my '71, it was so cold-blooded I had to warm it up longer than any other car I'd owned.
After a valve-job and ignition upgrade that all went away and I could practically take off after 30 seconds or so.
It's all one big happy package that has to work together.

Not to mention that, at any time in it's past, a PO could have re-jetted the carb, or changed some other parameter to make it act like that.
Do you know it's history? Been tuned up or checked lately? Headers? Any other mods?

Paul

OP
OP
J

Jonboy69

It is pretty much stock: 302, autolite 2barrel, stock manifolds, dual cherry bomb mufflers, fresh rebuilt carb with #48 or #47 jets. New distributer cap, rotor, pertronics. plugs look ok, brownish/tan. Just had a new fuel pump installed & fixed vacuum advance & is much better but still cold blooded & a little flat/slugish when accelerating. Thanks Guys !