• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Does a person really need dual shocks?

75MIKE

Loc.
NE Washington
Just curious about the dual shock set-ups anymore.When I got started playing with Broncos in the late '70s, dual shocks were the craze.I see companies still sell the dual set-ups,but with the better shocks like the Bilsteins and Rancho 9000's are duals really nessecary? Or just a way for outfits to sell more shocks?Or is it looks?It sure seems you give up a lot of ride quality with duals.I'm guilty of playing in to the dual shock game myself.Now I'm looking for ride. Thanks

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
I think they are actually to reduce fade over high speed washboard roads or to rebound quickly when jumping. For road driving and rock climbing you don't need them.<br>On a side note, I hate it when I look through "reader's rides" sections of 4x4 magazines and there is a show truck with 24 shocks, all chrome plated ;D I've got better ways to spend my $$$ than on 24 shocks.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I switched the rear from duals to single shocks and the ride is better. I still like the duals in the front.

Hobe

Loc.
N.E. TX
In most cases dual shocks are just for looks, there are functional reasons to have a dual shock setup, but not for most running them.<br><br>

74bronc

Bronco Guru
Singe Bilsteins are much better than dual anything, hands down. I wouldn't waste the money unless you are into the "all show, no go" thing. better ways to use the cash on the bronco, IMO

jr

Loc.
Mililani, Hawaii
According to James Duff dual shocks improve handling, braking, and all-around performance and prevent wheel hop and body sway. By keeping the tires on the ground they improve cornering on pavement and dirt, and help to control axle wrap. Dual shocks work like anti-sway bars without restricting wheel travel. The belief that dual shocks are "too stiff" is just a myth. When properly valved shocks are used, they compliment properly designed springs.

tonto

Bronco Guru
I’ve been a supporter of single shocks for a long time I’ve run duals before and liked singles better for the last several years.<br>But with the 5.0 to a 5.8 swap recently I notice a little deeper bounce and a few more bounces on hard/deep bumps and I have a winch waiting to be mounted so I’m considering looking into having my Fox res. shocks re-valved and if that doesn’t compensate I’ll go to a second shock.<br>For a guy running off the shelf shocks I would say run something like dual RS9000 or the Pro-Comp MX6 adjustable shock, and play with the settings, yes the MX6 I know people say there app. Specific, but I’ve looked at the book and they do list travel in inches and there are a soft, firm & hard shock in each length I might try and run a single MX6 in the hard category and play with the settings or just get two 9000’s.<br>By the way the MX6 are just an idea, I haven’t had time to really put much thought into it.<br>Later, Francois.<br>

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
::) ::) ::) To that I would say yes if you get air and drive hard or in mexico you need them unless you dont mind braking things but duel shocks and front and rear truss's are a must good luck and have fun. ;D ;D ;D Bill 8) ::) :p

broncoswede61

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles,CA
[quote author=4byford link=board=5;threadid=10331;start=0#75083 date=1035051315]<br>Ummm... dual shocks will improve braking???? <br>Do you mean the anti-dive properties of having quad shocks in the front?<br>[/quote]<br>yup.

T

teknalee

uhhh they aren't just for looks ::) i took my extra ones off.. and my handling went to crap. but it is a softer ride. i'd put it back on if i had some new shocks to put all around. they're getting a bit old.. but the handling difference is like night and day.

brentfd

Loc.
C/S, CO
[quote author=JR link=board=5;threadid=10331;start=0#75088 date=1035052181]<br>Dual shocks work like anti-sway bars without restricting wheel travel... When properly valved shocks are used, they compliment properly designed springs.<br>[/quote]<br>Couldn't the same be said for single "properly valved" shocks? My understanding is that the only gain from dual "properly valved" shocks is the ability to dissipate more heat.

c2computer

Loc.
Castle Rock, CO
I run 4 RS9000's in the front and Duff in the rear and my ride is great. Without the duals in the front the sway is even worse at high speeds.