• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Does anyone have info on Explorer Rear Disk brakes for the Early Bronco 9in?

eds77bronco

Loc.
Torrance, Ca
??? Currie says they have a conversion for the ford 9in to Explorer rear disk brakes. Does anyone have any experience? Is it worth the swap over factory '77 Bronco 11' rear drums? What are the pros/cons???... do tell...

Dusty

Bronco Guru
The explorer discs have the best of both worlds. Discs are better for stopping, drums are better for holding. So the Explorer rotors have a small drum brake integrated into them as the parking brake.

I knew that Currie had a kit for them, but I don't know much more than that. You might be able to just by the caliper bracket from them and source your own calipers and rotors, but you'd have to redrill the rotors to 5 on 5.5. Also, I had heard that Currie had quit promoting this setup as their supplies of the Explorer parts had dried up. That may be hearsay though.

Dusty