• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Does anyone on here custom cut Stainless Steel?

Sporto

I am working on my dash and I want to create a panel out of stainless steel that will cover the hole from a single DIN stereo, while also providing me somewhere to mount a switch and a gauge.

You can see what I have in my project thread already, post #17. However I want something that is more visually appealling so I am thinking a nicely cut SS panel (or perhaps brushed aluminum) would be the perfect thing to finish this out.

I am open to suggestions or ideas.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2014368#post2014368

Thanks

Rich

Last edited:

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
I made this last week. I needed a programmable fuel gauge so I came up with this.

I also made another one exactly like it but it holds three gauges instead of the 12V power jacks. I decided to go this route instead.

It isnt stainless... it is 14ga mild steel powder coated a metallic silver. I might sell it if you are interested.

Just an idea... terrible iPhone pic... sorry.

Greg

Attachments

• dash2.jpg
    dash2.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 159
OP
OP
Sporto

Sporto

Wow Greg! That is sweet and it would look great on my dash, but the lower half of it would block the double DIN radio that I am currently installing. I am open to any material though, it does not have to be stainless, so if you come across anything that just covers the hole please let me know! I will pay for something custom. :)

Great work though very impressive.

Rich

migs

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Hi, I have a machine shop/ fab shop and have made custom one off panels and gauge mounts out of stainless or aluminum, brushed or polished. If you think I might be able to help you out just send me a pm.
thanks

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
Check with Drew, he should know someone that can do that. Maybe one of the Kiser (roadrunner) guys can do it. One of them made the MEB raffle drum out of stainless.

dave67fd

Bronco Guru
Rich,
We use and cut stainless on a weekly basis. For all of our custom cut-outs we have them laser cut. There is most likely an outfit somewhere in your area. They usually only charge for set-up costs and then a minor fee to cut. Seeing as your panel is probably a pretty basic cut-out it would be quick. They usually have material available.

You would though probably have to give them a detail dimensional drawing of what you want cut. Our laser house charges us a one time fee for each piece regardless of how many cutouts and there around $125.

We also do on occasion cut-outs on enclosures (14ga) which are too large for the laser table. We usually make a template of the cut-out, transfer to the material (use a fine point sharpie) and use a varaible speed jig saw with a metal blade at about 14 tpi. If you feel confident to do this you don't want to run the saw too fast as you will burn the blade and harden the material. You can clean it up with a grinder/file.

Aluminum will also look nice and is easier to cut. We do the same basic procedure for both.

OP
OP
Sporto

Sporto

Great replies and suggestions. Actually now that I think about it, aluminum is probably the better way to go. I will see about getting some specs on exactly what I need in terms of size and cut out. It should be pretty basic as you said.

Thanks a lot this is giving me a lot of ideas.

R

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Don't get the stainless bug! I ended up with Floors, Firewall, front inners and core support all stainless, as well as a custom dash overlay.
IMG00382-20100510-1936.jpg

migs

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Here is a little sample I cut out on the plasma machine and ran through a time saver. it is 12ga stainless. couldnt really get a great picture with this camera though.

Attachments

• SANY1032.jpg
    SANY1032.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 29
  • SANY1037.jpg
    SANY1037.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
Sporto

Sporto

Here is a little sample I cut out on the plasma machine and ran through a time saver. it is 12ga stainless. couldnt really get a great picture with this camera though.

Is there a picture or am I just not able to see it for some reason?

:)

R

dave67fd

Bronco Guru

What grade SS? 304?

migs

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
yes, that piece was cut from 304. that's the grade we use for most of the stuff we make. I do have some bits of 316 left over here and there for the occasional specialty job that comes along requiring it.