• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

does everything look right?

77bronk

Loc.
Fort Worth, TX
just got threw with new wild horse springs 2.5in and bilstein shocks and new steering stabilizer and 14 pc bushing kit with 7 deg c bushing. new ball joints as well. my question is this we a big first for me and took me about 3 weekends to finish after i stripped alot of old grime off and repainted all the bits before re install. ole yeller had a tired rancho 3 in lift on her that was due for a change. my question is does everything look like it should? i kept the drop pit man arm since it was on there from before. also i still have the dam bronco lean to the drivers side. I noticed the c bushing squeezing out the sides.. is this normal? trying to make sure everything is a go before i go to the alignment shop.. I also have quite a bit of steering play which im not sure where to look first with this ole gal... thanks for any insight yall my have..
9C3B327A-906B-4518-8796-A0CE94DCAC83_zps9uzmk07a.jpg

53782407-5A7D-4E84-B8D3-CDEE1F7FC375_zpsu6l5lbit.jpg

BFBD192A-EE89-4789-806A-C0D4E8AEF674_zpsfxp1lfmh.jpg

EFE8D334-0F3F-49B8-B6F2-246AE4601004_zpsprwk4h5h.jpg

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did u take the radius arms completely off the bronco when you installed the c bushings? If not that's your lean problem most likely. The c bushings must be installed so the ends of the radius arms frame end are evenly touching the ground. You loosen and tighten the caps untill they are. Then bolt to frame

OP
OP

77bronk

Loc.
Fort Worth, TX
i did take them off and cleaned and paitned them before install but i dont think installed them the way you are describing. i bolted up the ends first and then slide the axle into place. im guessing this was not the correct way to install them? would i have to take everything off again to get the radius arms on the ground?

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My c bushings squeezed out also, even though I lubed them up really good , and it did align to pretty good specs jack the front tires up and wiggle the wheel to check for bearing play
As for the lean it is how you tighten up the bolts on the rad. Arm caps
It took me about 4 times with axle off the truck to get them perfectly level.
it's a pita but it came out good also you might not need the drop steering arm I don't run one with my 3.5 SL and it is fine

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
For starters, nice truck! Unfortunately the only way I know to make sure the ends are even is to take everything somewhat off again but you can make it as efficient as possible. Support the front via frame or bumper. Disconnect springs, shocks, track bar, drive shaft, and drag link from radius arms and axle leaving them attached to the frame. Pull radius arms from frame a let the whole axle and frame rotate towards the ground watching brake lines. The arm ends need to touch the level ground exactly the same. If one hits before the other the other will still be in the air. I like to do this rotating off the axle instead of the tires in case the tires are not perfectly the same size/inflation. But make sure what you're setting it on is perfectly level. The arm that's in the air loosen the top 2 c cap bolts maybe 1/2 turn each and tighten the bottom two 1/2 turn. This should rotate the arm down. Keep adjusting until both arms hit the same time. Re-torque all 8 bolts to spec and recheck the arms hit at the same time again. Reassemble to springs shocks etc.

OP
OP

77bronk

Loc.
Fort Worth, TX
well shit.. thats not what i wanted to hear. i didnt want to take everything off again.. was a pain in the ass the first time... sigh.. other than that the c bushing squishing out the sides is normal?

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, no one wants to hear that. You could try and fake it by just adjusting the caps while it's still all together, but chances are it's not gonna be level, just better. You're not the only one who's done this. It happens all the time. Bushings squeezing out is fine.

Attachments

• IMG_1365.JPG
    IMG_1365.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1366.JPG
    IMG_1366.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 39

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Anyone else on his geometry? I can't tell.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
But you don't have to do all that before you go to get your alignment checked. The lean would not normally be enough to skew the readings you need. And it won't effect toe-in enough (if at all) to worry about.
All they're really going to do is set the toe-in anyway usually. Unless you get a real savvy old timer that knows their way around a solid axle Bronco, they'll probably just tell you that all that other stuff is non-adjustable and send you on your way.

But make sure you get the full printout of all of your settings anyway. Even the stuff they say can't be adjusted.
This way you'll know what's up and then you can fix them later if necessary.

Regarding the pitman arm, that's unusual for a '77 to steer good without one, as in spap's case. Lucky guy!
But usually, when using a dropped arm, you need to couple it with a dropped trackbar bracket as long as you're keeping your stock "Y-style" steering linkage.
If you don't have the bracket though, don't worry about it yet. Just get it set up, drive it and see how it handles on the road.

As for the looseness, it could be the angles, but often as not it's a few things on their way to being worn out. You know the bushings are good (you did change the trackbar bushings while you were at it?), but what about the other stuff?
Best test is to put the full weight of the truck on the ground, have a helper see-saw the wheel back and forth just enough to wiggle the tires on the ground. Usually about a 1/4 to 1/2 turn in each direction. Have then do this continually while you watch what's going on under there. You actually want to look at everything, literally from the steering shaft into the box, all the way out to the wheels, to see if anything is loose at all.
Even if it's just a tiny bit, you put a few of those tiny bits together and they add up quick on a short wheelbase tall vehicle.

Paul

OP
OP

77bronk

Loc.
Fort Worth, TX
yep i did the track bar busings as well.. had to order a different set as i have a adjustable one and the kit had stock bushing.. ive had the wife wiggle the steering wheel and mostly what i see is all the play is somewhere between the box all the way up the shaft. theres also some play in the joint in the middle.. im not sure what i can be replaced or rebuilt. going to take it to a hard core 4 wheel shop here in fort worth that has done a few builds on broncos for others so im sure they will know what to do.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
If it turns out to be your steering shaft I really like my WH slip shaft with u-joints on each end.
Super solid and safe.

dave67fd

Bronco Guru
Also not a show stopper but typically your stabilizer shock goes the other way.

OP
OP

77bronk

Loc.
Fort Worth, TX
you know i was thinking about that.. the way it is now was how the old one was the the po installed so i installed the new one the same way... give something to do tomorrow and flip it around.