• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Doin' The Dash

Bundy

Bronco Guru
Hey guys-

in anticipation of such a blistering cold winter, i have opted to finally re-do my dash on my 68 since the original had been hacked so badly and was covered up with some blank aluminum.

just a few questions about what i am getting into. Aside from the obvious, like re-wiring...

- should i opt for the one with the dash cutout offset for the roll cage?

- it looks fairly straight forward to remove, any quirks to know about?

- does the steering column need to come out completely?

- has anyone had their dash powdercoated for toughness?

- what is the best setup for cutting into the fresh dash?

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
Just did some mods on mine

yes on the dash cut out or maybe just a tuffy box to clear rollcage

easy to remove but will need to remove wheel or column

I used a cut off wheel in my angle grinder to make the tuffy glovebox cutout.

I think powdercoating it would be the way to go. I used a rattle can and it shows lol!

OP
OP
Bundy

Bundy

Bronco Guru
thanks buddy- i was thinking about powercoating like a gun barrel grey or something, that way when i repaint it will go no matter what.

for circular cutouts can i used a drill and one of those circular bits, like the same that you use for wood? hopefully autometer uses a common diameter ;D

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
Yeah... A holesaw in a good drill will handle it. Center punch the location so the bit doesent walk around on you. go real slow and put a little oil on the blade. You can clean them up with sandpaper, a dremel or an carbide bit.

Take your time and it will come out great! Gun metal would be cool. Let me know how much it costs you to get it done.

You in San Juan Capistrano? Do any fishing out of there?

OP
OP
Bundy

Bundy

Bronco Guru
will do, i think Ben knows a guy who does powdercoating locally.

i am in Capo Beach, don't do any fishing because my life is spent in front of a desk or under a bronco... although i have alot of friends who fish locally...

if you are ever down here, let's go grab a brew

OP
OP
Bundy

Bundy

Bronco Guru
hahaha, it's been in the 30's before... 150 years ago ;D

getfuzzy

Lay out your gauges and pay attion to were you defrost ducts run on the back side. i know this one all to well.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
To get the dash out don't you have to peel the top off and let down the window shield frame. Or are you putting a overlay on top ..Sorry I'm cornfuzzed.

OP
OP
Bundy

Bundy

Bronco Guru
Lay out your gauges and pay attion to were you defrost ducts run on the back side. i know this one all to well.

unfortunately i don't have a heater or a defroster, although it would be nice. is that an easy addition?

To get the dash out don't you have to peel the top off and let down the window shield frame. Or are you putting a overlay on top ..Sorry I'm cornfuzzed.

i am not sure, that is why i am asking you! ;D

i am assuming i can just take off the nice dash top and a couple of bolts later it will pop out... but i wanted to make sure i don't have to do anything else... as with every project on the EB there are hidden gems lurking hahaha

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
yes... you have to take the pad off and fold the window to access the screws behind it, then a screw on the front and one bolt on each side.

OP
OP
Bundy

Bundy

Bronco Guru
hey Grillmaster where in LA are you and what's your name? i wouldn't mind getting together so i could steal some ideas from your rig... i mean uhhh get some ideas rollin around.

you in socal broncos?

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Bundy don't forget Ben is 73 stallion and he is a mobil mechanic and is operating out of LA...He seems to know our Bronco's left to right..Give him a PM...

OP
OP
Bundy

Bundy

Bronco Guru
thanks Papitt- Ben helped me with my xfercase, he actually lives a few miles down the road. funny thing is when he came to help me we figured out that he had pulled me out of an illegal mudhole 10 years earlier when i was just a pup ;D