• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

DOM Radius arms

crawln68

Bronco Guru
Hey those look really nice! Will they clear your tires with no bend in them?

OP
OP
RajinCajun

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
It was a coil sprung axle from an 05' F350, it had a huge stamped steel radius arm.

Yup crawln, they clear with about 6" of clearance with the 36's, so the 39.5's should fit fine.. I hope anyway :)

meckanik

Loc.
Issaquah, WA
It was a coil sprung axle from an 05' F350, it had a huge stamped steel radius arm.

Yup crawln, they clear with about 6" of clearance with the 36's, so the 39.5's should fit fine.. I hope anyway :)

Couple of questions RC and please don't take this personally:

It doesn't look like your RA design allows for any caster adjustment. Am I missing something?

It looks like you don't get any 'wristed' action using the stock cast axle mounting points. Why didn't you incorporate this into your design?

Nice work though, those arms look beefy!

-Jeff

OP
OP
RajinCajun

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
No problem. I personally don't like the idea of my entire front axle on one side being held on with one bolt, which puts all of the stress on the other RA. I play in the mud quite a bit and don't want to worry about hitting a stump with the front axle and having it break the single bolt and then I am stuck. I know it limits my articulation, but I am willing to forgo that in the favor of strength. For the caster adjustment, I thought about it alot and almost did it, but then realized how often do you adjust it? Why spend quite a bit more for an adjuster of sorts, heim etc.. just to adjust it once or twice in its life time... I built the prev RA's and noticed I didn't have it set exactly right so I just rotated it a little before I built the current arms so it should be perfect now.. if not I am thinking it is close enough for the minor highway it will see.. :)

slider58

Loc.
OKC, OK
Hey R.C. Your radius arms look great! I am thinking you didnt want to carry them around the shop much! LOL. On mine I have 40" MTR's on 10" wheels with 4 1/4 inches of back space and clear the arms easily. Looks great!;D

slider58

Loc.
OKC, OK
Thanks for the compliments.. Yea, they are pretty heavy.. quite a bit of overkill, but that is my middle name :)

We Think alike on the overkill. On my lower tube I interference fit a peice of 1 3/4, 1/4 inch wall inside it. If I bend that, I will have had fun that day!!:-[

Attachments

• Bronco 19.jpg
    Bronco 19.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
OP
OP
RajinCajun

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
I thought about doing the double tube set up, but after I actually wheeled Katemcy with .120 wall tubing and I didn't bend them even dropping down on them a few times I figured I would be ok with the DOM and some plating :)

OP
OP
RajinCajun

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
Left arm done, Detroit and 5.38's in front axle, rear still under assembly, had to get a different rear pinion bearing from a 10.25... should have it in tomorrow and back together.. Here are a couple pics..

Attachments

• DetroitGearsIn.JPG
    DetroitGearsIn.JPG
    213.1 KB · Views: 29
  • FrontShafts1.JPG
    FrontShafts1.JPG
    247.5 KB · Views: 40