• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Donkey drops a gas tank!

66donkey

Loc.
Colorado
So now the oil leaks are fixed, 8) and I get an offer to ski for free in Vail :D courtesy of a good friend. I decide to take the Donkey on it's first extended test drive. Approximately one hour into the drive I stopped at Walmart, and as I'm going thruogh the speed dip I hear something big dragging :eek: below my truck. I drive it into a parking spot, get out and the main tank strap (a new one I recently put in) is hanging off of the driver side, the tank is on the ground directly below where it should be, and has been dragged by the rubber fuel hose. :( :(
It 's a 14 gal. tank with about 10 gal. in it.

;D ;DTHANK GOODNESS I DIDN"T BLOW UP ;D ;D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's to the Bronc and it's dual tanks. I filled my Jerry can twice and transferred the gas to my reserve tank, put the main tank inside the back of the truck, and 30 minutes later off I went to Vail. I haven't looked at it yet (no garage, cold and snowing, too much work already done in the cold and snow) but I assume there might have been some slack in the new strap caused by my not putting the bends in the exact correct spots.

It's funny that I replaced the strap thinking the old one was rusty and unreliable.... .... but it's always the same... ... live, learn and love with the Donkey ! ;D

G

Glad you didnt blow up too. I know about the no garage thing. been there before. take it to a buddy w/ a garage.

mgweiss

Loc.
Denver
Great story, glad everything worked out OK. If you have any other lose parts on your truck take a drive by my house, I can always use some spares ;D

DPM77

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle, Washington
WHOA! Dang, thats scary! glad your all right.

Everytime I read something like this it gives me another thing to check on the EB, the list is endless.... ;)

griff

Loc.
solvang, ca
When I bought mine the rod that goes through the strap (the one for tension) was broken. Somehow my gas tank was defying gravity. I bent a piece of 3/8 stainless rod threaded it for a new one. Makes me wonder what would have happened it I hit a big bump.