• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Door Hinge Pin Removal

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I started rebuilding an extra set of hinges this afternoon. Only one of the four was easy to remove the pin. The other three would not budge, even with a press. I checked the one pin that did come out with a hardness tester, and it did not show that it was hardened. I wondered if I could somehow drill the pins out? I used a cutoff tool to cut the pins, and still cannot get some of the ends out. I finally ended up letting them soak in some PB Blaster. Does anyone else have ideas as to how to remove these pins? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

OP
OP
greatguy57078

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am hoping that the PB Blaster soak works, but just in case does anyone have another suggestion?

neonizagas

Loc.
Minneapolis, MN
20 ton press made it easy, but they were not on the vehicle.
I used a hardened rod to push the pins all the way thru and out of the hinge.

Gerry

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Grind the bottom of the pin flush with the hinge, sometimes they get grooved over the years and do not want to press out.

Baja71

Bronco Guru
Everything from the 60's and 70's was groovy, wasn't it?

Attachments

• Hippie-1.jpg
    Hippie-1.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 7

11wnb

I drilled mine out. Started with a small bit and worked my way up slowly to keep the bits centered. Took longer but the hinges now have zero play in them. A drill press will definitely help. Good luck.