• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Door Hinge Pin Removal

astronot

Loc.
Llano, TX
Anyone know how to get the pins out of the door hinges which are already painted? I know that a hammer and punch won't hack it!

shamu

Lucky as the day is long.
Loc.
Sachse,Tx
If your hinges are removed try this. I have done it 8 times. You should bleed a little bit. Place the large cap into the hole and hit it straight and right on the money. Once flush use a good punch and you are good to go.
Here is an easy way 3/4" steel table with a whole in it.
NEXT

Attachments

• Pin 001.jpg
    Pin 001.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 197
  • Pin 002.jpg
    Pin 002.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 202
  • Pin 003.jpg
    Pin 003.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 187
  • Pin 004.jpg
    Pin 004.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 177
  • Pin 005.jpg
    Pin 005.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
OP
OP
astronot

astronot

Loc.
Llano, TX
OK. Gonna try that tomorrow. I have an anvil made from a section of railroad rail with a hole in just the right size. I'm doing this so I can mount my new RCM trail doors. After that, I'm gonna try to find a set of hinges (pin removed, yeah right). After that, it's the drill route.

shamu

Loc.
Sachse,Tx
OK. Gonna try that tomorrow. I have an anvil made from a section of railroad rail with a hole in just the right size. I'm doing this so I can mount my new RCM trail doors. After that, I'm gonna try to find a set of hinges (pin removed, yeah right). After that, it's the drill route.

Terry you know I need to pay more attention to peoples profile name. Shamu is Damon Hopper. My # is 972 754 9210 I was talking to Emil about an hour ago and his allergies are kicking his butt.
So ring me and I will walk you through it, it is a 10 minute job.

OP
OP
astronot

astronot

Loc.
Llano, TX
Yep, I knew that was you. Let me give it a shot in the A.M. and if no luck, will call you. Thanks for the help!

shamu

Loc.
Sachse,Tx
Yep, I knew that was you. Let me give it a shot in the A.M. and if no luck, will call you. Thanks for the help!

Call Emil, David is gone to Fredricksburg for the weekend, and Kenneth is home. OH BOY sounds like a crazy weekend in Clifton.

thepunisher

Loc.
summertown,
Drill it out,,,your kidding,, right? I was gong to start the door hinges Saturday.. That just changed my plans. Sorry, I butted in.

shamu

Loc.
Sachse,Tx
Drill it out,,,your kidding,, right? I was gong to start the door hinges Saturday.. That just changed my plans. Sorry, I butted in.

I did a set of four in about 10 minutes for this post. So to date I have done 12 with a hammer and a punch.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
ya good luck.....worst thing I ever waisted money on was a hinge rebuild kit. They cant be rebuilt! I had 5 hinges and could only get the pins out of 4. I bent 3 punches and broke a hammer! Then when I drilled them out for the new bushings the bit got off center. I painted them and installed them. Then found out one door would bind because the holes were off center. I ended up spending time and money and in the end threw it all in the trash can.

In the end I ended up buying a set of SS lift off hinges. They were nice until one of the pins got bent somehow. I can easly pull the doors off but when I put the one door back on it pushes the bottom bushing out. What a pain. Next time ill but normal hinges and save some coin.

Good luck

OP
OP
astronot

astronot

Loc.
Llano, TX
Thanks for all the help guys. I dodged the bullet this time and found a set of hinges on eBay WITHOUT PINS!!!!!!

Desert Dweller

Loc.
Central WA
My hinges have a lot of play in them what do you use for new pins?

After beating the pins out... (have had to use the blue wrench a few times to persuade them), I put them in a jig I have (it is square to the bit in my drill press) and drill them out to 5/16". I have used both grade 8 cad plated bolts (only lasted 25 years on my Bronco with no sag) and lately have been putting SS bolts in ones I have done for others. Just get bolts long enuff so no threads are in the hinge. Another trick I've done is to thread the cut off bolts just to the hinge. Then the pins can be put in from the bottom up with a nylock nut on top and can be removed to take the doors off. If there is too much space in between the hinge halves, a thin SS washer can be slid in...:cool: