• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Door Hinges

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
I am just about ready for paint. I rebuilt my door hinges, but I think I would rather just replace them.

Who carries the best quality hinges?
regular not lift off

Dennis Carpenter
Tom's
BGY

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My guess is they would all come from the same place, Probably D.C. is the one who manufactures them, I don't know, you could call DC and ask if they make them or are they imported.

JHD

Loc.
Colorado Springs
Why do you want new ones?

I don't see any benifit in buying new hinges if they have been rebuilt unless the threaded holes are trashed or the hinge it self has so much wear that the rebuild did nothing. For the cost of replacing new hinges I would go ahead and get some lift offs. You may never use them but the option would be there.....

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Anyone ever tried just drilling them out and using a bolt? have not looked at the possibilty of that just wondering?

ajl7742

Loc.
Cade, Louisiana
I did it for a truck once. It worked okay, but I had to machine the bolts to the exact size of the hinge hole to eliminate sag. Unless you have access to a lathe and know exactly what you need, I wouldn't recommend it.

DCarter001

Loc.
Baxley, GA
I had to replace both my front posts when I rebuilt my truck. One side I ordered a rebuild kit and on the other I had to order new hinges. The new hinges were the way to go. For the rebuild, you will have to drill the holes out to the new size. It is best to use a drill press for this job. I imagine it can be done with a hand drill, but the results may not be what you want. I ordered my kit from Duff and my new set from JBG. I was satisfied with both. I may actually have another set of rebuild pins. Send me an e-mail to DCarter001@aol.com with bronco parts in the subject line. It will be a couple weeks before I get back down to Brunswick to our shop and look for them.
DC

Bronco Brett

Loc.
little rock ar
to answer nyles, yes I drilled out hinges . it took about an hr. off hand I dint rember what size bolts I used. they work great. I also added brass washers to the mix. now to take the doors off I simply knock out pin (bolt with head ground to a button) use a digital caliper to measure bolt and drill slight bit bigger. also drill bit might have been a letter bit. abcdefg u get the idea.

OP
OP
D

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
Nyles, I drilled mine out years ago and it worked fine for years. I think I drilled them to 5/16. I went to the parts house and found a chrome 5/16 pin. The trouble is now they are loose again and the rebuild kits only have the bushing for 1/2 of the hinge. That means you need 3 kits to fix both 1/2s of the hinge.
But, yes it will tighten up the door for years.
The reason I am replacing the hinges is with the money I am putting in it, I just want new parts. I have figured I need $1000 it parts just to put the body back together after paint. Rubbers,seals, door handles and such. I don't guess another $100 or so will make that much difference.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Deltarat,
Just put some of those SS removeables on it you know when your done you wanna pull the doors turn off that AC and run it wild through the delta and enjoy that felling of being young again!

OP
OP
D

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
I have would be worried about the hinge without any upper support would not be as strong as the regular hinges. It seems as they would shake on bumps and such worse than originals.
I am going to put air in it, so I doubt I would ever take the doors off. I am afraid that it would take more than taking doors off to make this old fart feel young again.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Trust me the doors dont rattle or move...they weigh too much and once they are closed/latched, they arent coming off. In fact, while its probably due to a little bind and imperfect allignment, I had to open the door to a more or less specific area and "work" the door a little to get them to disengage. I wouldnt hesitate to use lift off hinges....come on, you might think that you wont run without doors and will use the AC 90% of the time, but once the wind gets you no top and no doors--at least no windows is where its at. Especially in the Southland.

I am still trudging along...will be in touch.

BTW, I used the Wild Child hinges...take a little more prep than some of the other lift-offs; I think the SS ones that WH and Duffs (prob JDG too) carry are sweet, but at the time they were ~$300 for a set...the WC ones were a good deal on the MB. Good luck with whatever you decide...but you will eventually want to pull the doors even just for a weekend.