• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

door (inside) help please

usmcsmith

Loc.
Newark
I am trying to assemble the guts of the door and have a few questions.. If there is some sort of manual on here please point me in that direction.

First I bought new mirrors off Wild Horses and I have no holes in my door... Is there a best place to mount these? Also the kit came with 2 screws that are pointed and 2 small bolts that are the same size as the screws. Now the Mirrors only have 2 holes so Do I screw into the body then pull them out and use the bolts? there are no nuts for the bolts either

2nd. What is the best way to replace the weather striping for the wing window because mine is dry rotting

Im sure I will have more questions as I work the doors more but its raining right now so that might be a few days

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Lets start with the easy part.
Mirrors; mounting location is up to you, but about even with the edge of the of the vent window is a good location for the mirror itself. The bolts I assume are for the factory nut serts. The screws sheet metal screws.

Replacing the vent window weatherstrip is a bit more complex. You have to take everything out of the door in order to get the vent window out.
Remove the door panel and door handle from the inside. Loosen but don't remove all the bolts that hold the lower window tracks in place. Roll the window 1/2 way down and remove the clip that holds the roller on the arm. Remove the window from the regulator arm. Remove the window tracks and lower the window to the bottom of the door. Remove the anti rattle felts at the top of the door and lift the glass out of the door. Remove the screws that hold the vent window in place and rotate it out of the door. Remove the weatherstrip and replace. Reassemble in reverse order. Take your time. Its not that hard just time consuming.
Good luck

OP
OP
U

usmcsmith

Loc.
Newark
so on the mirrors I would just use the sheet metal screws?
since there are no nuts or holes on the door

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
so on the mirrors I would just use the sheet metal screws?
since there are no nuts or holes on the door

Just mark and drill your holes and get some nuts for the bolts. While you have the guts out of the door you should be able to reach up in there to put the nuts on. I always use bolts and nuts instead of screws if possible. Much more secure

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
I would advise using nutserts or bolt thru w/nuts. The screws will hold for awhile, but will distort the metal and and not as stable.

KT22

Use nutserts. I got my nutsert kit from harbor freight. I works great and it was not too expensive.