• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Door jam wiring options

KeithKinPhx

Getting ready to install power windows and door locks. Not sure which route to go. Any recommendations?

Options seem to be:
1. Door contacts (not sure we have room for these in pillar) https://www.amazon.com/Keep-Clean-16138-Modular-Contact/dp/B003TVL5FG
2. Rubber boot
3. Some sort of sleeve that goes with strap (Wild Horses?)
4. Billet door loom http://www.keepitcleanwiring.com/ca...MBL/12-Inch-Stainless-Steel-Door-Loom-(1-Pair)
5. What else is out there?

Pics would be helpful.

Thanks
Keith

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I struggled with this a lot. I ended up going with the door limiting strap way. Should look clean enough and shouldn't get pinched. I think all ways have been done with success.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
I like the straps with the built in wire pocket. looks factory for our rigs that never had anything in the doors. you can also incorporate a plug at this same place so if you want to take off the doors you still can

OP
OP
K

KeithKinPhx

I watched the videos and he rejected the boot (idea #2). He did some version a #3 but did not give a close up view (maybe I missed) which appears to have been done between Video 2 and 3.

I called the makers of the SS sleeve and was on hold for 20 minutes with no one ever answering. I looked at the product and the only way to install would involve drilling a hole straight thru the Door pillar because the mounting piece is 2 or 3 inches long.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
I just used grommets for the taped-up wire loom in Frank's '75. It worked perfectly for a couple of decades.

(phone app link)

I certainly wouldn't use contacts - open the door, and you can't roll the power window up, power-lock the doors, or hear the speaker. You also lose the options of courtesy lights on the door. And there's not enough space for enough contacts to have power mirrors or any other conveniences.