• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

#%^@$%!!! Door STUCK Shut On '68 Bronco - Ideas???

bulletpruf

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Fellas -

On my project '68 Bronco, the passenger door wasn't closing easily so I slammed it. Well, that shut it, but now it's completely stuck shut. I'm able to push the button in on the exterior door handle, but it won't release.

FYI - the doors are the later model doors, so that may be part of the problem.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? Would rather not have to destroy the door to get it to open.

Thanks

Scott

NewDog

Contributor
Loc.
Surrey BC
You wouldn't be the first guy to slam a Bronco door, that's for sure!

Dumb question, but does it open using the inside door handle? If it's a later door, it's a paddle handle right?

If not, and you can push the outside door handle button in but nothing happens, I am thinking you might have knocked loose one (or both) of the door latch rods that connect the button to the door latch.

That would mean taking the armrest and inner door panel off to see what's not right, and proceed accordingly.

Good luck!

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Not sure if this is your issue or not. I have had the locking mechanism hang up and cause what you are describing. The door would not open with the inside handle or the outside, the lock pull would move up but not far enough to unlock the latch to open. I had to "jiggle" lock pull up and down until it released, then the door would open.

Dude 713

Langester, I had the exact same problem with mine and after removing the inside panel several times I finally realized if I rolled the window all the way up the door would unlock and open I adjusted my lower window track and haven't had the problem since.

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
I Got a rememberable dent in my passenger door from a sticking door latch mechanism. Like mentioned.... when all else fails take panel off , it’s no fun. Reach in pop it open. When you do clean and lube because it will happen again

Thumper63

Contributor
Loc.
Aptos Ca
What Tiko said! This happened to me with both doors at the same time. I actually had to climb out the back to get out !! Took them apart cleaned 48 years of grime off, lubed them and now they work like new. Try it.

Rightpace

I have worked the the door lock up and down on my 74 repeatedly and if the latch rod is still connected either inside or outside, have been able to unjam the mechanism. If it does work for you, lube it up with some spray and work the latch before you close the door again.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It was a super sweet Explorer model if I remember. A '72 or '73 low mileage, almost original with all the cool goodies. Wish I'd taken more pics of that one and the spectacular green one. Oh well, better off not being able to look at them and be jealous.:(

Good job on the video Mitch! Common problem, usually a relatively easy fix.
Hope it helps with yours bulletpruf.
Good luck!

Paul

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
When the door wouldn't open on Frank's '75, I found I had over-adjusted the pushrod for the outside button, which prevented the inside handle from working. So I modified the latch slightly so that could never happen again, and it didn't. Details are in the captions of this photo album:

(phone app link)

OP
OP
bulletpruf

bulletpruf

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Thanks for all the details. Ran out of time this weekend working on the '72 beater. Will tackle it this week and report back!

Scott