• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Doors hard to close w/ new weatherstripping

OP
OP
E

Ed74

Loc.
San Diego, CA
It has been almost 2 years since I installed my DC weatherstripping and I, unfortunately, still have to slam my door to close it. Possibly, a body shop will have a better solution. Best of luck.

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
I got my new seals installed with the same problems. Mine is the thick part at the top of the lower seal when the screw goes through at the top of the door post. I had the door gaps pretty good until I put the seals on. Now the door won't shut far enough to line the door and rear 1/4. I may try to shim the hinge toward the rear to have a little more room where the thick piece is on the door post. It will change the gaps, but it may be the only choice.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The Metro Supersoft Seals, ( http://www.metrommp.com/ )seem to work the best they will form fit better than what DC makes or the others sell. However the only way I have found to get the doors to shut the way I want them is to custom fit the weather stripping to each door. The first thing I do is get the doors lined perfect, body lines and closing the way they should, then I install the seals and look to see where its holding the door open. Its usually at the bottom front, the top front molded piece, and the top back molded piece. Now this is where it becomes a pain and if not careful you will screw the stripping up, take a exacto knife and trim the backside of the stripping a little at a time, close the door and start again, once complete you want be able to tell that it has been cut if done right. Once you have them the way you want use the 3m black super seam sealer I dont recall the part #. This will work, I have done several this way, its time consuming and you will probably mess up one or two but when its right they will close the way they should. *** Install the weather stripping and let it sit for a few days so that it will collapse before you start cutting.

Bronco Biff

Contributor
I've seen where the striker bolts or latches are removed and a ratchet strap is strung between the two doors and tightened gradually a little further than where they end up on the strikers and allowed to sit for a few days. Then replace the removed strikers or latches.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
It seems to me that the replacement weatherstripping has never been correct. Everybody has had a problem with the doors not closing properly, not even close to "I can live with that". Why is it so hard to make a simple piece of door rubber? :mad: I'll leave mine off for now, until I can find something else. Metro super soft, Hmmm? Thanks for the heads up surfer-b

djhudson05

bought mine from Autokrafters a few years ago. Installed them last weekend to see how the doors fit. Same problems.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I've got the same problem. It helps to open a window a bit. The real problem with continued slamming is the damage it does to the window tracks.

pharmin06

I have a set of DC's on my half-cab...rolling the window down, to let the air out helps a bunch. I have a NOS set of the one piece rubbers, wonder if some company would be willing to copy them?