• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

dose anyone make a 66 style hub cap

RJGarza

Loc.
Karnes City
I wouldn't mind having a set myself but for the price they're selling for I would much rather buy a set of new wheels.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
I wouldn't mind having a set myself but for the price they're selling for I would much rather buy a set of new wheels.

That is fine if custom is an option on your build, but when doing an original, you really have no choice if it is a bright packagage equipped build. Finding nice 66 caps is getting harder and harder since there are less of them every year and more people are now into the stock builds than ever when in years past almost everyone wanted to ditch the caps for custom wheels.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
I sold quite a few this year for $150-$200 each, and one nice polished set for $1000

RJGarza

Loc.
Karnes City
That is fine if custom is an option on your build, but when doing an original, you really have no choice if it is a bright packagage equipped build. Finding nice 66 caps is getting harder and harder since there are less of them every year and more people are now into the stock builds than ever when in years past almost everyone wanted to ditch the caps for custom wheels.

Yup. People doing a 66 restoration are scooping these up all the time for a good chunk of change. I'm glad I'm not fully restoring my 66 lol. Parts are hard to come by for that specific year!

frenchy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
WOW Drew thats amazing. I picked up a xtra set this year at the
swap meet in michigan. I got a hellava deal on those then. Paid I
think $40.00 for all 4. And there in pretty good shape too.

frenchy

Broncitis

MEB Founder
WOW Drew thats amazing. I picked up a xtra set this year at the
swap meet in michigan. I got a hellava deal on those then. Paid I
think $40.00 for all 4. And there in pretty good shape too.

frenchy

Sometimes you get lucky like that when people have no idea what they are for or that they were only a one year, one model cap.

Mike at BroncoDesign told me of a similar story on a set he picked up at Carlisle for about the same.

I have not been that lucky in recent years.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
I think we should all put in and market them.

I doubt they will be reproduced. As soon as they are, they will not be worth much mnore than what the new 67-77 caps sell for.

The one year, one model makes it a very limited market which will not likely justify the tooling cost compared to the 66-77 caps which were also used on many other models over the years.

It is a simple supply and demand issue. Not all that many years ago, relatively few thought totally stock Broncos were cool, and wanted to cut, lift, add custom wheels, etc. so these caps were not worth but $10-$20 each. Now, many have come to appreciate the retro and classic look they provide or want to do authentic restorations, so the price has shot up since there are not many nice ones (or even not so nice ones) left out there.

It took me the better parts of 20 years to get the 2 dozen plus I had, which I sold some of for the first time this year. I started looking again, and was able to score a few more at swap meets this summer.