• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Drag link ball joint not replaceable ?......PROBLEM SOLVED!!

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
1977 said:
Maybe I'll start with that Stonecrusher setup, seems pretty reasonable. I think it starts out at around 265 for everything under there. Does that include the drag link?
That's an excellent system at a great price. I've had it on mine for a couple of years now with no problems. Yes, it comes complete with the tie rod, drag link and all hardware to install. It even comes (or did when I bought mine) with two spare joints.

Coob

Loc.
Houston, Tx
GJBroncoMan said:
That's an excellent system at a great price. I've had it on mine for a couple of years now with no problems. Yes, it comes complete with the tie rod, drag link and all hardware to install. It even comes (or did when I bought mine) with two spare joints.

Yep - I just got mine about 2 months ago and it had two spare joints.

dpmerrill

Loc.
Springville, UT
The heim joints look like good stuff, but I'm not sure they'll fix your problem yet. When you said you have a hard spot when turning, I first suspected the steering box or pump. If you damaged your radius arm c-clamp and steering dampner, it sounds like you may have hit a rock or something. Did you notice any new scratches or dents on your drag link or tie rod?

Usually worn out ball-joints cause wandering or wobbling wheels. It's possible for them to cause a hard spot, but if you can turn them by hand, it doesn't seem likely to me.

Have you tried the tests NicksTrix was talking about in your other thread? I would double check the tension on your p/s pulley's belt, and I would at least do a basic check to make sure it really is bent linkage or bad ball joints. Crawl under the front end while you have someone turning the steering wheel back and forth (lock to lock). Watch all of your ball-joints. If they are moving smoothly with no wobble and both parts moving together, not one part moving first and the other part following later, they may be just fine.

You may need new linkages, in which case heim joints would be a fine way to go, but it could also be as simple as air in your system, or at worst, a bad steering box...

OP
OP

Problem solved.....

dpmerrill said:
The heim joints look like good stuff, but I'm not sure they'll fix your problem yet. When you said you have a hard spot when turning, I first suspected the steering box or pump. If you damaged your radius arm c-clamp and steering dampner, it sounds like you may have hit a rock or something. Did you notice any new scratches or dents on your drag link or tie rod?

Usually worn out ball-joints cause wandering or wobbling wheels. It's possible for them to cause a hard spot, but if you can turn them by hand, it doesn't seem likely to me.

Have you tried the tests NicksTrix was talking about in your other thread? I would double check the tension on your p/s pulley's belt, and I would at least do a basic check to make sure it really is bent linkage or bad ball joints. Crawl under the front end while you have someone turning the steering wheel back and forth (lock to lock). Watch all of your ball-joints. If they are moving smoothly with no wobble and both parts moving together, not one part moving first and the other part following later, they may be just fine.

You may need new linkages, in which case heim joints would be a fine way to go, but it could also be as simple as air in your system, or at worst, a bad steering box...

U-Joint was rusted to hell on the drivers side. Went ahead and ordered new heavy duty axles for the front while I was at it. $259.00 from Mike @ completeoffroad.com DELIVERED!! What a steal.

Thanks for all the help guys!!!!!

:)