• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Drag link to connecting rod torque specifications

Jeep Slayer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wildomar California
Anyone happen to know what the torque specifications for the Drag link to the connecting rod on a 67 would be my ford shop manual does not have a torque setting for this. Or at least I can’t find it.

Last edited:

71broncman

Loc.
Woodland Park, Co
Just went through this too. Pretty scarce specs on those but, I found it in an old Chilton book. According to the book it is 40 Ft./Lbs. plus whatever it takes to line the cotter pin hole up.
Mark.

OP
OP
Jeep Slayer

Jeep Slayer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wildomar California
Thanks for the input 40 lbs it is. It also says tie rod to spindle is 60 to 75 lbs and drag to pitman 60 to 75 also. does this sound right.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No, doesn't sound right.
Aren't they all four the same size? If so then they should all have the same torque rating.

While I've seen steering components with 60lb ratings, I've always used the Chilton's 40lb rating for all four (tie-rod ends, draglink ends) locations.
But if someone has a Ford book, I'd trust that more than I would Chilton's even though they get their stuff from Ford before they write the book up.

Pretty sure we've had specs from the Ford books posted up before. I just don't remember now if they agreed, or disagreed with the others.
Where are you seeing a 60-75lb rating? Books or internet? I think I've seen as high as 42-48 for these before, but don't remember every seeing 60.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...It also says tie rod to spindle...

I thought I'd bring this up since it had me mentally scratching my head for a few seconds when I first read it.

On our trucks, the machined "bearing spindle" is a separate component bolted to the cast "steering knuckle" that is the center piece of the pivoting/steering assembly. And the knuckle is what the tie-rod is attached to in our case.
If you're lowering a '90's Chevy truck though, the tie rod is indeed attached to the spindle.

On some vehicles, even that part where the tie-rod attaches is separate. In those cases it's called the "steering arm" and is bolted to either the knuckle, spindle, or lower control arm. Or, if you take the late-'60's through late-'80's GM 4wd trucks for example, their normal steering arms are cast into the knuckle, but they have a separate steering arm for the draglink.
Same front ends as ours, so still have a separate spindle and knuckle, but now have an additional steering arm.
So you're correct for calling it a spindle on some vehicles. But for ours it's the knuckle.

Sorry for the preaching, but thought it might come in handy someday if you're looking for a knuckle, but order a spindle instead. Be a rude awakening when this small shiny pointy thing shows up when you were in fact wanting the big ugly cast thing where the ball-joints mount instead!

Thanks for listening.;D

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks savage. Yeah, what we got here, is a vu-zha-day all over again!
I also wrote it down on a post-it note and stuck it in the Chilton's book that last time too I think!

Paul

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeep Slayer

Jeep Slayer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wildomar California
No, doesn't sound right.
Aren't they all four the same size? If so then they should all have the same torque rating.

While I've seen steering components with 60lb ratings, I've always used the Chilton's 40lb rating for all four (tie-rod ends, draglink ends) locations.
But if someone has a Ford book, I'd trust that more than I would Chilton's even though they get their stuff from Ford before they write the book up.

Pretty sure we've had specs from the Ford books posted up before. I just don't remember now if they agreed, or disagreed with the others.
Where are you seeing a 60-75lb rating? Books or internet? I think I've seen as high as 42-48 for these before, but don't remember every seeing 60.

Paul

Specifications on torque came from my 67 BRONCO Econoline Ford shop manual

OP
OP
Jeep Slayer

Jeep Slayer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wildomar California
I thought I'd bring this up since it had me mentally scratching my head for a few seconds when I first read it.

On our trucks, the machined "bearing spindle" is a separate component bolted to the cast "steering knuckle" that is the center piece of the pivoting/steering assembly. And the knuckle is what the tie-rod is attached to in our case.
If you're lowering a '90's Chevy truck though, the tie rod is indeed attached to the spindle.

On some vehicles, even that part where the tie-rod attaches is separate. In those cases it's called the "steering arm" and is bolted to either the knuckle, spindle, or lower control arm. Or, if you take the late-'60's through late-'80's GM 4wd trucks for example, their normal steering arms are cast into the knuckle, but they have a separate steering arm for the draglink.
Same front ends as ours, so still have a separate spindle and knuckle, but now

have an additional steering arm.
So you're correct for calling it a spindle on some vehicles. But for ours it's the knuckle.

Sorry for the preaching, but thought it might come in handy someday if you're looking for a knuckle, but order a spindle instead. Be a rude awakening when this small shiny pointy thing shows up when you were in fact wanting the big ugly cast thing where the ball-joints mount instead!

Thanks for listening.;D

Paul

Very good information thanks

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
I looked at my 74 bronco OEM Factory Shop Manual,and it has two different torque specs, I just went with the lower torque 40 lbs, since its close to the lower torque in the ford manual .

Attachments

• img002.jpg
    img002.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
Jeep Slayer

Jeep Slayer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wildomar California
I looked at my 74 bronco OEM Factory Shop Manual,and it has two different torque specs, I just went with the lower torque 40 lbs, since its close to the lower torque in the ford manual .

Thanks for the input. At this point I’m set on torquing everything to 40 lbs.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well I will say this about that Jeep Slayer... No matter how many shop manuals I've read, and how many bench-racing sessions I've attended, I have never seen the assembly referred to as a spindle. So I do still learn something new all the time!

After all that dissertation I gave about spindles and such, I can't coincide it from what both of your books say. They're obviously calling them spindles, just like you were.
Sorry about trying to correct the correct!

I've NEVER heard a steering knuckle officially called a spindle until today. But there it is in both of your books. And they even mention "spindle arm" and "spindle rod end" in there as well. Not even "tie-rod end" like we call them.
So what the heck do they call the actual spindle!? Does it say anywhere in your book what you do when you need to buy just the surface that the bearings ride on? Is it also just a spindle?

Either way, apparently I had it backwards. Looks like the original definition was spindle then, and maybe over the years (perhaps?) we end-users separated the parts out a little more to keep things clear when replacing a part. A spindle then became limited to just the bearing part, and the larger piece was the knuckle, whereas originally the whole assembly was called the spindle by Ford.
Very enlightening.
Anyone else here ever called the knuckle a spindle like they did in the books? Know the story behind the different parts?

Anyway, obviously it sure is news to me. Even back in the sixties we were calling them spindles and knuckles as separate pieces. Like I said, I never heard the term spindle applied to all the rest of the bits put together.

As the swami in the movie "HELP!" once said... "Oh my goodness gosh! Sleep, sleep... Yes I must sleep now!"

Paul