• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Drive shaft length help?

lagbolt

Is it possible to add a CV joint at the diff side of my rear drive shaft to compensate for my 3.5 lift and drive shaft angle? Pros and Cons?

Thanks Tom

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
Being an optimist I like the phrase "anything is possible". However for the sake of the question it's just easier to say NO it's not possible or necessary.;D

Most Spicer type stock rear driveshafts will work on a 3.5" lift. They will be a little short but they will bolt up and you can drive down the road.

Best solution: New rear driveshaft built to your working measurement.

Jim

OP
OP
lagbolt

lagbolt

I have the driveshaft bolted up already but, it's maxed out. Is it possible to buy just a longer drive shaft yoke? I know I can just buy some leaf spring shims to correct the angle.

OP
OP
lagbolt

lagbolt

O and some info might be helpful. I'm running a 3.5 sp lift stock 3 speed and Dana 20.

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
Yep, I would expect it to be maxed.

The typical Bronco yoke is 4" OAL. There are some 5" versions that would buy you an inch.

You could also have your existing driveshaft lengthened.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have had two broncos both with 3.5 inch lifts. One drive was fine the other was maxed or short even with 6 degree leaf spring shims. I just got a new drive shaft. You just don't want the drive shaft coming out of the yoke off road or on road. It will cause a lot of problems if it does, wild spinning drive shafts can mess up a lot of thikngs. I would get a new drive shaft but that's me.

OP
OP
lagbolt

lagbolt

thanks guys. Spap that 6* shim did that correct the angle for you or should I go bigger?

PaveBronco

I just ordered the 6* from WH made from steel, not that junk POT metal stuff most the others are made from, that rot away and turn to dust..

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think the max is 6 degree and it lined up at a perfect angle towards the transfer case. I have a wild horses 3.5 11 leaf spring pack. Others might be different

I was happy with the angle after that the drive shaft I replaced was just showing to much of the splines but the all seem to be a little different

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And remember too, if your angle is off and you do need those shims (more and more common these days by the way) you're not going to need as long a shaft. As the pinion climbs up, the distance to the t-case get's shorter. By quite a bit.

So at the very least, make sure your pinion angle is correct before ordering a driveshaft by length.

Paul

driveshafter

Loc.
phoenix az
driveshafts

Hey if u have any problems with drivelines pm me as u can see by my name i can help i specialize in high angle drivelines i can tell you over the phone how to modify to get higher angle and maybe send you some free parts