• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Driveline angles

jimmy18thing

I am about to order a new suspension... I am putting extended radius arms on from wild horses and my rear spring perches are shot so I am welding new ones on. My question is... can I get the correct angles on my drive lines while changing these things if I go from a 3.5" to a 4.5"? Its not much more to do the 4.5", and I know alot of people run the 3.5" with a 1 inch body. But I figure if I am already in the there doing the suspension work why not just do the 4.5". Also am I going to have for a lack of better words... a crappier ride with a 4.5" than a 3.5"? It has 32x11.5's now.. would like to get 33x12.5's eventually.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Setting the pinion angle and then re welding the spring perches on is a good way to do it. No angle shims involved that way.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
With 3.5 sometimes you can get away without changing driveshafts, e-brake cables, brake lines. With 4.5 I doubt any of these items will still work.

OP
OP
jimmy18thing

jimmy18thing

Oh yeah and I already have extended S.S. braided brake lines, I believe I got an extended drive shaft also...

JROwens

Loc.
Raymond, MS
Ride quality will depend on type of lift you put on. I went from a basic 2.5" or 3.5" that the PO had to a Cage 5.5" w/ arms (and 31's to 37's) and it drives 10 times better. Like JW said, there will be several other upgrades if you go taller. Doesn't hurt upgrading 35+ year old parts though.