• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Driver side tail light too bright

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
When i turn my lights on, I notice my driver side tail light is brighter than the passenger side... like the brake is always applied. Anyone know where I should check first to fix this? I'm not savvy with electrical by any means. I'm assuming i start from the rear tail light and work my way back, but not sure where it would go wrong or what to look out for. Thank in advance!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Have the tail light housings been replaced? It’s possible one of them was wired backwards.
Swap the bulbs from side to side and make sure that the problem stays on the same side. While the bulbs are out take a look at the sockets and make sure they’re clean and the contacts straight.

And make sure that the left side housing is grounded through the bolts. It’s possible that the ground has broken and when the tail lights are on the circuit is trying to find the nearest ground. And it’s doing this through the brake light filament and wire.

You might be able to verify that by having someone push the brake pedal while you’re watching. If the light goes dim or out, then it’s probably a ground issue.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There is a separate ground wire from the lower housing to the body inside the cavity. That’s just for the back up lights when present. The main tail light gets its ground through the reflector housing directly to the body through the screws.

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
like the brake is always applied.
Is it "like" your drivers side brake light is on or is it just one tail light is brighter than the other? In other words, when you push your brakes do both sides light up and are they both the same??

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
There is a ground connection for the taillight harness at the drivers side frame back by the rear bumper. at least there is on my 1974

OP
OP
Shimmy

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
Have the tail light housings been replaced? It’s possible one of them was wired backwards.
Swap the bulbs from side to side and make sure that the problem stays on the same side. While the bulbs are out take a look at the sockets and make sure they’re clean and the contacts straight.

And make sure that the left side housing is grounded through the bolts. It’s possible that the ground has broken and when the tail lights are on the circuit is trying to find the nearest ground. And it’s doing this through the brake light filament and wire.

You might be able to verify that by having someone push the brake pedal while you’re watching. If the light goes dim or out, then it’s probably a ground issue.

The pig tail from the driver side housing has been replaced/spliced. I bought a new pigtail and plugged it in and no luck, but i'll try reversing the wires and see if that corrects it. I'll also check the grounds.

Is it "like" your drivers side brake light is on or is it just one tail light is brighter than the other? In other words, when you push your brakes do both sides light up and are they both the same??

its appears that the brakelight is always on on the driver side.🙁

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Any change when the left turn signal is selected? Does it stay the same, or get dimmer, or go out completely?
Does the left turn signal still flash?

Paul

OP
OP
Shimmy

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
Any change when the left turn signal is selected? Does it stay the same, or get dimmer, or go out completely?
Does the left turn signal still flash?

Paul
all functioned normal. it was just bright like the brake was applied all the time. i took your advice and checked for it being wired backwards. i cut the pig tail and swapped the ends and all seems to work properly now! normal light and then bright when brakes applied. blinker functions normal too. call this case closed! thanks all for the help!! i'm so happy this is fixed! it was annoying and i'm pleased it was an easy fix

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Awesome! Glad you got it fixed. It's funny how fixing the little things can really make your day.