• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Driver Side Tie Rod, Cut and add Sleeve Question

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
my buddy cut his driver side (1974) and had it threaded. Added a sleeve and tie rod now he has adjustable on both sides and to replace is much cheaper. Now it looks like the adjustable center drag link (that the vendors are selling), which I am thinking about doing the same on my center drag link. I have a machinist who will do it for me for free. Looks like total cost for parts will be about 60.00 (2 sleeves and on tire rod). Does anyone see a safety issue with these ideas. My buddy has had no problems and has run his for several years. Just found this link http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Tie_Rod_2way_Adjustable_6675yr/Bronco_Tie_Rods_Drag_Links Looks like wildhorses makes one.

70_Steve

Old Guy
my buddy cut his driver side (1974) and had it threaded. Added a sleeve and tie rod now he has adjustable on both sides and to replace is much cheaper. Now it looks like the adjustable center drag link (that the vendors are selling), which I am thinking about doing the same on my center drag link. I have a machinist who will do it for me for free. Looks like total cost for parts will be about 60.00 (2 sleeves and on tire rod). Does anyone see a safety issue with these ideas. My buddy has had no problems and has run his for several years. Just found this link http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Tie_Rod_2way_Adjustable_6675yr/Bronco_Tie_Rods_Drag_Links Looks like wildhorses makes one.
Been running that setup for about the last 12 years. Took my Dana 30 tierod and had the end cut and threaded so I could get the extra length to fit the 76 Dana 44 I installed.

There really is no advantage to having an adjustment on that side. The only benefit is that the tierod end is cheaper, and in my case, it was the most cost-effective means of getting the longer tierod I needed for the Dana 44 install.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
X2 been runnning a 3 way adjustable for years as well with zero issue. Good way to get a adjustable drag link for fine tune adjustments. but I would make sure your tierod is in good shape to begin with. You might also check with any plumbers see if they have a left hand tap in the size you need they should have the right hand tap already might get it done for even cheaper.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Yeah I didnt catch the free part I just saw the $60 part. Who knows maybe plumbers are paying to get work;D

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
i have to replace my driver's side tie rod anyhow and it is 149.00 bucks most places so it will def be cheaper. But not sure where to get the sleeve for the smaller center drag link. did not think about using a die to thread the thing, i was thinking throw it in the lathe and thread it. does anyone know the thread pitch and size?

70_Steve

Old Guy
i have to replace my driver's side tie rod anyhow and it is 149.00 bucks most places so it will def be cheaper. But not sure where to get the sleeve for the smaller center drag link. did not think about using a die to thread the thing, i was thinking throw it in the lathe and thread it. does anyone know the thread pitch and size?
Hell, if you've got a machinest that will work for free, have him cut the drag link, single point the threads and make you a coupling. Then all you have to do is buy a couple jam nuts.

cpknier

Loc.
San Antonio, TX
WH has a drag link sleeve here, not sure if this is what your looking for...

Sorry to tag onto this thread, but I have a related question...
I have this setup in my '66, do I just get 2 right hand tie rods to replace them?

bludorbronc

now you can watch for people with worn out tie rods and collect them and make good ones for spare parts.

ramrick

Loc.
el paso
New to classicbroncos.com and broncos......doing this mod a wheel alignment would be a must right? How much do wheel alignmentd run?

70_Steve

Old Guy
New to classicbroncos.com and broncos......doing this mod a wheel alignment would be a must right? How much do wheel alignmentd run?
Congrats on the Bronco, and welcome to the site!

Changing caster and camber is a bit involved. But setting the toe-in can be free, if you have a tape measure!

http://www.bcbroncos.com/alignment with water mark.pdf

You might want to call a shop and ask them how much they charge to just put your Bronco on the machine and print out the current settings.

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
does anyone know of a source or know of an application that will work for the drag link coupler, it is smaller than the tie rod coupler.

bludorbronc

if it drove good before then measure from a known spot on each tire and when done measure again and make sure they are the same.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I tried to find a good pic of my 76 setup, I did that to the factory 76 setup so I could center my steering after I installed the lift. I didn't want to replace the tie-rods because they were brand new. I had and old tirod from a 74 that the threads and sleeve were still good. After I took all the measurments I cut the 76 draglink, ground to a point, and welded the threaded parts from the 74 into place, now I have an adjustable drag link and adjustable driver side tierod.
I found one not the best but it will give you an idea, zoom in on the pass side tierod, you can see the adj. sleeve somewhat but most is coverd in snow. I have been running this for 2 yrs now and no probs. The only time I could see having a prob would be if you hit something with it.

Attachments

• tellico december 2010 016.jpg
    tellico december 2010 016.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
thanks for all the replies, i have ordered the parts and will get it done when i get the parts in. pics will follow once i get it painted purty. would take pics of once installed but that will be a while. decided to pull the engine and do the engine bay while the front end is no under the truck, so it will a few weeks before the front end goes back under.