• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Drivers rear turn signal wire color?

lhinterman

My driver side rear turn signal blows a fuse when I use it. The painless wire kit, and the ididit column should be a yellow and a green wire. The tail light assembly wires are grey and brown. Does the grey or the brown go with the yellow wire?

OP
OP
lhinterman

lhinterman

I revisited the tail light and the wiring is correct. yellow for the turn signal and Brown for the lights. This is a painless wiring kit and the yellow wire runs from the tail light to the steering column. I connected it to the number three spot on the steering column connector, just like the instructions said. A fuse is blown when you turn on the signal. I have tested the yellow wire coming from the left rear and it is a ground!! How could it have changed from the rear turn signal to the column??

eBronc2

Contributor
The factory taillight wiring (at least on my '71) is Brown for the marker/running/license lights, Green for the Right brake/turn signal, Yellow for the Left brake/turn signal.

If your yellow wire is grounded, either it's connected to the wrong terminal on the taillight housing or it's shorted to ground somewhere between the column and the taillight. It's possible the bulb in the left taillight housing is shorted or possibly inserted into the socket wrong. Try removing it and see if the fuse still blows when you activate the blinker.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
When you checked the wire, was it still connected at both ends? Or did you disconnect it and measure between your end of the wire and the housing?

If you are measuring and finding a ground between wherever and the housing, you need to remove the bulb first. If the bulb is in place you will see the circuit as a ground because it's finding it's ground connection through the bulb itself.
Remember that when using a volt/ohm meter, ALL circuits will show a ground if they are complete.
Only by turning a switch off, or by removing the load (in this case the bulb) will give an accurate reading with an ohm-meter. It's too sensitive otherwise, and will detect even the barest minimum of grounding connections. In this case through the case of the bulb, to the socket, to the housing, and to the body.

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I revisited the tail light and the wiring is correct. yellow for the turn signal and Brown for the lights. This is a painless wiring kit and the yellow wire runs from the tail light to the steering column. I connected it to the number three spot on the steering column connector, just like the instructions said. A fuse is blown when you turn on the signal. I have tested the yellow wire coming from the left rear and it is a ground!! How could it have changed from the rear turn signal to the column??

always something right...

JRT

Good morning, I was curious if left turn signal / fuse issue been resolved. I have been chasing same issue on 75 bronc myself. About to pull steering wheel and replace turn signal switch harness but really as last resort. Right signal works as well as running lights and brake lights. This is a real gremlin.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sounds like you're down to the switch then.
If you're absolutely sure that the brake light works on that side, then the wiring and bulb and socket are good because they're all the same for stop/turn/flasher per side.
If the turn signal works on the other side, then the flasher unit is good because it's the same one left and right.

The only remaining common denominator that I can think of is the switch itself. That's where it all comes together.

I'm not sure what this will tell you exactly, but when you are next in the vehicle and can see the rear lights working (whether through reflections or with a helper) press the brake pedal to fire up the brake lights, then flip the turn signal switch both ways to see what happens.
On the side that does not work, either the brake light will say lit or it will go out. Seems to me that it should go out, but it's been awhile since I've played with that. Do it with the key ON and OFF just to see if there is any change.
If nothing happens then that says to me that the switch is bad.

But frankly, it sounds like the switch anyway.

Good luck.

Paul