• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Driveshafts - Would a 2" suspension lift Require Custom Lenght Shafts?

AGShelby

Loc.
San Antonio, Texas
A simple project of cleaning and repainting my driveshafts, along with replacing U-joints has become a long saga. The issue is with the CV joints. I tried every parts store in town, and also was on backorder with Wild Horses.

Eventually I found them at Austin Driveline, but when I drove down to get them they only had one....

What I have decided to do is go ahead and have mine completely rebuilt and balanced at Austin Driveline. The price is a little steep (compared to just replacing the U-joints), but is cheaper than buying them new from the Bronco parts dealers. My truck was a beat up, abused, then abandoned, so I am trying to replace everything mechanical with new. The only thing not new on the driveline now is the shafts and the differentials. My "plan" is to drive it for the summer and then rebuild the differentials as my next winter project. So - going all new with the driveshafts.

My truck has a 2" suspension lift. I am going to go ahead and measure the distance and take it in when I drop off the shafts. Understanding that there is some play with the slip yokes, should I be concerned about the length?

75 Ranger

I have a 3.5" suspension lift with no problems of the original driveshafts.

Jonboy69

I am planning to do a 2 1/2" in the future & I was hoping it wouldn't require any drivesahft mods.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
You should have no problems with a 2" or 2.5" lift and the stock shafts. But 3.5" and up you can run into issues with the stock shafts.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I lifted my rear 3" and had to lengthen my rear shaft - 2.5" up front went in without an issue.

sprinksbeme

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kingman, AZ
X2 in the hunkey dory column.
3.5 " is sometimes yes and no but a pinion angle adjustment is usually needed to stop vibration on the rear shaft front is good.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Check around there's a shop here that will cut and shorten or lengthen a shaft for $40 and balance for another $40, that doesn't include U-joints or CV obviously, but that seems really reasonable to me.

stock74

I have not run into any problems running stock drive shafts with my 3.5" lift. I doubt you will have problems with a 2.5" lift. The only change I had to make regarding drive shaft issues is that I had to correct the pinion angle on the rear axle because I was experiencing a vibration from having the incorrect angle after installing the lift. So, I installed some angled shims between the leaf springs and spring perches/mounts on the rear axle to correct the problem. You may or may not run into this issue, not everyone has this problem. I would drive the bronco first and make corrections if necessary. Most bronco or 4 wheel drive shops should sell the shims if you need them. Good Luck!:)