• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Drivetrain swap

Nickelplate

I have a 1985 full-size bronco and a 66. The engine is all messed up on the 66 and I was wondering if I could just swap the engine/transmission/t-case from the 85 directly into the 66. I know there might be a little fabrication there, but it would not be too much? Has anyone ever done this swap before? Is it worthwhile or even a good idea?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
What engine do you currently have in the 66? If you have a 289 in the 66 then the 85 engine will bolt in tranny and t case will not. The t case is to big to fit between the frame rails.

OP
OP
N

Nickelplate

Unfortunately, it's not the 289. It was a straight-6. they left the bronco out with no air cleaner or hood and now the engine is having big problems. I figured I would want a v8 in there anyway, and I have plenty of them sitting around. I just figured that my v8 would not bolt up to the bell-housing where there was a I6.

What about a 5-speed? would that be any good/hook up to the t-case?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
You'll need some engine mounts to swap a V8 in most of the venders sell them. Your correct the V8 wont bolt to the 6 cyl bellhousing and the 6 cyl tranny is not really strong enough for a V8.
5 speeds can be swapped in depends on what one it is. Check out the links section on the left hand side of the page theres all kinds of info there.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
What engine is in the '85?

More then likely the engine will swap over easily. Probably even the transmission as well. Speaking of transmission, what is in the '85?

the transfer case is another story. What you have in the '85 will be too wide to fit in the Bronco frame rails.

I think you are asking if the engine will drop right in. No it doesn't fit hat easily. But you can make it fit. You can make the transmission work as well (also not another simple drop in). transfer case is a whole nother story, the '85 won't fit and the '66 won't bolt to the '85 trans. There are a few options. Again depnds on what is in the '85?