• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Drop Pitman Arm Question

mbm721

Hi, I recently lifted my '75 3 inches and the kit came with a drop pitman arm. I have done my best to get the old arm off but I haven't gotten it yet. I don't plan to do any technical 4 wheeling with the bronco or anything like that. Do you think it is necessary to change out the pitman arm?

Thanks,
Matt

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
Depends, and it's actually more important for street driving than trail use. Without the drop pitman arm is your track bar and drag link parallel? To avoid bump steer you need to have them parallel, which is what the drop pitman arm will do for you. I'd install it to keep your steering geometry correct.

pahoughton

Loc.
Colorado Springs, CO
Yes, you should install 'BOTH' the drop track bar mount and the drop pitman arm to prevent bump steer and use your existing track bar and drag link. You can barrow a pitman arm puller from AutoZone or buy one from Harbor Freight or your local parts store. You should also spray it with either PB Blaster, Sea Foam or your favorite penetrating oil and let it sit for a while.

FYI I normally do NOT recommend installing drop track bar mounts as then tend to crack the frame if you do much wheeling. Raise mounts on the axle are much stronger.