• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Drum brake issue and rookie question

Bronco Sully

Loc.
Houston
Recently my factory 73 drum brakes pretty much went to the floor and you had to mash fairly hard to get decent stopping power. They were fine prior to that. Since I bought the truck around October last year, its damn near been my daily driver. Given I live around some of the worst drivers in the US (Houston) I have had to hammer the brakes a couple of times even though I drive fairly conservatively.

Long story short, the front chamber of the MC was empty and once I filled it, the brakes were fine, in fact excellent. No leaks we're evident anywhere and I will continue to monitor. All the lines look in good shape. The old fluid looks rather murky.

Is it possible that since I have been using the rig fairly more often than the PO and have had to brake rather heavily occasionally that the shoes would would be pushed out a bit more causing the lines to pull more brake fluid draining the chamber? Probably a stupid question. Not quite sure what would cause this w/o a leak.

Thanks, Sully

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'd look for a leak somewhere in the system. Could be that the shoes are worn and the wheel cylinders have pushed out to rusted area and torn up the seals a little allowing a leak. But overall the wheel cylinders in drum brakes dont really take up the slack like disc brake calipers do so fluid level should stay the same. You will get more pedal travel if the shoes are worn but it shouldnt empty out the fluid.