• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dual exhaust and emergency brake lines?

6bronco6

I just hooked my rear emergency brake lines to my rear drums. I run them up over the frame, and into the mount(2holes for lines) and find trouble! the PO mounted my driverside dual exhaust to the outside hole. Now what do i do? And i thought it was going to be an easy job....grrrrrrrrr. That is the last part i needed to complete the install. Someone please give me advice, or suggestions. Thanks guys.

70_Steve

Old Guy
6bronco6 said:
Now what do i do? ..... Someone please give me advice, or suggestions.
I bet you already know what to do. ;) Move the exhaust hanger someplace else, and install the e-brake line the way it's supposed to. I made exhaust hangers out of 1/4 x 1" flat bar. Bent a 90 in it, drilled two holes in the short side. Then drilled and tapped two holes in the frame. Only took 45 minutes or so to make a couple hangers.

OP
OP

6bronco6

Sounds good. The only problem is, the exhaust it right where my e-brake cables need to be. Im afraid of running them too close, and melting them. They are angled in towards the frame so the space between the muffler and frame is tight.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
e brake lines

Son, if it wasn't for bad luck you would not be having any luck at all!!! MAN! what gives? You P.O. the previous owner or what?

As to the problem, two remidies.

1. Move the exhaust. you can buy brackets at NAPA and any other good parts place. bit of a pain but WTF. do it

2. Cherokee brake handle conversion. Handles the cables differently. Would not normally suggest this for you but it is a cure. If your not good with fabrication, see suggestion 1

TOFIC

OP
OP

6bronco6

Yup, thats me, bad luck..lol. Im going to try and relocate the bracket for the exhaust and see what i can do. After seeing this, i now know why the e-brake was taken out, or never put back in.

OP
OP

6bronco6

I unbolted the muffler bracket which was bolted to the outide e-brake cable bracket. But the muffler is still angled in towards the frame blocking the path for the passenger side cable. Do i need to pull the exhause and have it remounted? Any suggestions? comments? help? please...this is the last thing i need to do so i can drive legally.

TOFIC

Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Bad Luck Bear.

OK so the muffler is in the way. by how much??

If you need a "little" movement what you can do is loosen all the clamps and brackets that hold that side and move the muffler out of the way. I have seen muffler systems with enough built in movement they will move as much as 3 inches. Do not forget to tighten the clamps afterwards.

If you are refering to the tailpipe and not the muffler you can reshape that pipe to get it out of the way. Figure out what you need to do, take the pipe out and massage the bends to get it out of the way.

MAN a picture would be worth a thousand words right now. Got a digital camera?? Send me a pic walker@agt.net.

TOFIC

OP
OP

6bronco6

walker i will send you a picture this morning. I don't have enough play in the muffler to move it.

OP
OP

6bronco6

I might have enough room if i angle the muffler down. It is currently on ang angle against the frame rail. All the muffler fasteners seem very rusty conecting it to the tail pipes. I'm thinking i might have to go to a muffler shop to have them move the muffler. I will send some pictures in about 2 hours if that helps.

OP
OP

6bronco6

ok, got the pictures, but can't post them..grrrrr. Since i hooked up my emergency brake cables to the back drum, and disassembled my rear brakes doing it. My question is, can i adjust my rear drums if there is no tention on the emergency brake cable. My earlier post will explain why they are not hooked up. Hope im not confusing anyone.
Im just trying to drive the truck to the local muffler shop so that i can have them move my exhaust somewhere and complete the hook up of my e-brake cable. Im afraid of driving it and having the ends of my cables come loose inside the drums.

TOFIC

Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
ebrake cables.

The cables should be a LITTLE loose not not flooping around.

you will know if it is wrong, the grinding sound in the drum will drive you nuts.

Got your picture, head for the muffler shop, this one is a re-route job and best left to the pros. If the muffler is good, reuse it if not get something throaty. Nothing sounds better than a Bronco with a bark to it and bite to back it up!!

TOFIC

OP
OP

6bronco6

Well, both mufflers on there now are flowmasters, not sure exactly what series they are, but they do sound real good. Some of the piping is a little rusty but not too bad. Im going to try and have the shop re-route my pipes somehow. can i just tape up the ends of the ebrake cables that are not connected until i get to the shop?

TOFIC

Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
6bronco6 said:
Well, both mufflers on there now are flowmasters, not sure exactly what series they are, but they do sound real good. Some of the piping is a little rusty but not too bad. Im going to try and have the shop re-route my pipes somehow. can i just tape up the ends of the ebrake cables that are not connected until i get to the shop?

If you are refering to the ends up by the muffler yep go ahead.

TOFIC

U

Unregistered

the emergency brake cables can be very close even touching sometimes without harm. The emergency brake lines are mechanical, it is the lines with fluid in them you should be most worried about.

OP
OP

6bronco6

Im sure the rubber coating over the lines would melt if resting on a muffler no? I paid big bucks for all the cables and connectors for this. I should do it right if im going to do it. Anyone have any other ideas?