• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dual T-case Dana 20's

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
Two guys came up with a dual tcase design using the D20. One guy in California sold the design to WH. His was the Cold Duck. I think he passed away awhile ago. Anyway, WH doesn't offer it anymore. I got mine a few years ago and at that point it was only build to order. You could ask if they'd make you one. The other guy was on the east coast and I think he passed away too. You basically cut the front output off and weld on a plate to seal it. You need an adapter and spud shaft to join the two D20s. It works great on the trail. The only bad side is I have some oil leakage from the shift rails. The Cold Duck design has it rotated such that the shift rail is at the bottom instead of the top like a normal D20. This is for front driveshaft clearance. I don't think the shift rail seals were designed to be under gear oil.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I had the same probem with the one I built for my old Scout II several years ago. I was able to locate a stock shaft (Jeep I think) that splined in on both the input and output between them. Then I had a friend build an adapter plate that was the right thickness to go between them. The rest was just working out the crossmember and shift linkage. (Other than cutting it in half and plating it as mentioned above)

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
Mtn Gote said:
Was it worth it?

After buying the duck and a 32sp rear output from WH, some minor fab, and redoing the exhaust, I could have bought a brand new Atlas2 with 32sp outputs. It's nice having low and low-low but if I had to do it again, I'd go with an Atlas2 or STAK instead.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
Get in touch with Inphobic. He's working on a 231 range box to mate to our D20. Relatively cheap too.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Another inexpensive option is to run a Toyota dual case and ditch the D20 altogether. Blasphemy...I know ;D, but much lighter than a 203/205 and other cast iron options.

I see good deals on them all the time since there are so many out there and since most are run behind 4-bangers, they can be in pretty good shape. The IFS trucks are drivers side drop so it would have to be one of the newer setups. My brother beats his with a 4.3 Vortec and it doesn't seem to mind a bit. I know others are running 302's without problems as well so long as you upgrade to the 23 spline turbo input shafts. Just a thought....back to regularly scheduled posts.

OP
OP
M

Mtn Gote

Loc.
Sultan Wa.
Eh

I dont want to drift out to other manufactuers (spelling) if you know what I am saying. Thanks for the posts though.

BUCKETOBOLTS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Salisbury, NC
I have less than $200 in my 203 and 205. Just waiting to get the money up for the adaptor. Then for a decision on which trans I'm going with...