• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Duff header install questions

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
Who wants to give me the rundown on the easiest way to install a set of Duff headers on a 302. I don't have directions, I bought them used. Should I set them in the Bronco before I install engine or engine in first ? Will the starter go in and out with the headers on ? I am open to all suggestions and info.

Oh, while I'm asking questions - I have read where people say one of the headers points towards a radius arm or something when you have no lift . Whats up with that ?

Last edited:

Bucmaster

I put my Duff headers on with the engine in. Can change a starter without removing. Don't think that they point toward a radius arm. I'll look tomarrow if someone else doesn't answer before. Had to literaly cut out my old headers. NO way to get them out without pulling engine.

U

Unregistered

Im thinkingof putting on headers. I looked at the exhaust manifolds on there now...omfg,,,they looks too rusted to come off. any suggestions? I heard snapping them bolts off is a nightmare.

Moaiz

Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
Rust = PB Blaster, soak it & repeat.

My duffs went on with the engine in also, pulled the starter, came up from bottom. Passenger side is easy. The driver side may annoy you a bit without a second set of hands up top to get some bolts started but its straightforward. One side on mine points more down then straight, cant remember which it is.

Might be a good time to put on exhaust studs and or locking header bolts too. I got a set of both waiting for the next time I get motivated to dig into it again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
2badrotties

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
Thanks for the info so far. I had read that one collector points toward SOMETHING but I don't remember what. Maybe someone said the driveshaft.

Bucmaster

Just went out and looked at mine. I have just the bare headers on now, no exhaust. Looks like they both point straight toward the rear and level to boot.

HAIRRAZOR

Loc.
Marysville, WA.
On some of the older headers from Duff I believe the drivers side pointed towards the radius arm not "at it". This becomes a problem when installing a set of there extended radius arms (if you have a 351W) and not with your stock arms.

I've installed them on other broncos with the engine in and if you have an auto tranny the passenger side can be a little tough to get past the the tranny cooler lines. Both sides went in from below, also try e-mailing them or call and see if they will e-mail a set of directions to you.

It's also a good time to install some Stage 8 header bolts, the work great and no more loose headers.

vap13

I used these headers on my EB with a 351W and AOD. the drivers side went ok but the passengers side was a real pain. Mainly because of the AOD being larger I had to lower the rear of tran and transfer case as much as possible to gain the clearance I needed. The drivers side looks to be pointing close to radius arm but should clear, it will be close. Have not hooked up exhaust yet

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I have a set of older Duff headers on the 351 and 4R70W (good version of the AOD). They cleared the old NP435 great, but when I went automatic, it got real tight on the passenger side. So far it is the only set of headers I have found that will clear. I have been running them for 2 years this way. To install them I had to cut off #1 and #2 down tubes and splice them after installation. The engine and trans were already installed. Clearance with a C4 would be much better. Next change will be to dump the headers and install a set of ported K-code manifolds.

Attached is a picture of the exhaust and how tight it fits. The collector bolts must be aligned correctly and a little header wrap to try to keep the trans from baking. The aluminium collector gasket has started to melt inside the header wrap.

Attachments

• ds doorpost.jpg
    ds doorpost.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 171

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
I'm running duffs headers as well.The install with the motor in on the mounts with no problem. A bit tight but they go in.

vap13

Hey Broncobowsher,looks like they fit tighter on yours than my AOD. I also used header wrap on the entire headers before I did the install. Thats probably what made the install a little tighter. Did you have any problems with your front driveshaft clearing the tranny? I hav'nt got that far yet.

77BroncoWag

Contributor
Bronco Guru
mine has the AT and I left the starter in. I did take all the spark plugs out though(made the driverside alot easier. I was also able to install them easily from the bottom.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
vap13 said:
Hey Broncobowsher,looks like they fit tighter on yours than my AOD. I also used header wrap on the entire headers before I did the install. Thats probably what made the install a little tighter. Did you have any problems with your front driveshaft clearing the tranny? I hav'nt got that far yet.

Since I was having a new driveshaft made for the front, I had it made out of 2" tube instead of the standard 2½" tube. No problem with the small tube.

Yes it is a tight fit, but not to worry, I plan to start the K-code manifold swap tonight (along with the head gasket change)

vap13

Broncobowsher, Thanks for the reply, I 'll have to do the same with the front driveshft. I think some have dented the tranny pan just enough for the original shaft to clear, but I hate to start a leak somewhere. Sounds like you have a busy weekend ahead, me too.
Paul