• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Duff vs. Cage arms

subjb

Loc.
Napa, CA
Whats the difference between the two? I've searched and heard that Cage upgraded the arms, but what are the specifics. I want a set of Cage arms, but are they any better than Duffs?

Broncitis

MEB Founder
The differences are not very apparent at first look. As best I can recall from when I visited Jim at CAGE several years ago, he pointed out that the CAGE arms have some added built in caster, the main tubes extend all the way to the ends of the formed metal rear C bushing housing, and the formed housings have slots for added plug welds to the tubes to made the weldment stronger. There may have been something else, but that is what I recall.

gravy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Parsippany
Cage now has 2 different choices of frame mounting brackets now. You can opt for the all bolt on style which has 6 bolts and is pretty beefy and the weld/bolt on which has 3 bolts and should be welded for extra strength- the 3 bolt is the same bracket that the duffs uses. I think they both have 4.25 degrees of castor built in. I have the cage arms with the 6 bolt brackets and the work awsome.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Cage now has 2 different choices of frame mounting brackets now. You can opt for the all bolt on style which has 6 bolts and is pretty beefy and the weld/bolt on which has 3 bolts and should be welded for extra strength- the 3 bolt is the same bracket that the duffs uses. I think they both have 4.25 degrees of castor built in. I have the cage arms with the 6 bolt brackets and the work awsome.

Are you refering to the SAS (solid axle swap) brackets? If so, these MUST be welded on to make them work. These are used for non-Ford apps and for guys mouting axles where they do not want to weld on the C wedges. I have these going onto my 9" rear axle and used the regular C bushing with factory radisus arm caps up front.

We will also be installing a set with the SAS brackets onto a Allen Fahey's front Dana 60 at the upcoming MEB Wrench and Roast at my place in a couple weeks. http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122332

EDIT:
Oops, my fault, you did say *frame* mounting bracket:-[

I have two sets of the original style that I did not use (I custom made a mount that attaches both the front and rear arms on mine) if anyone needs a set. I think Jim just posted a special price of $550 for arms without the brackets or rod ends as a "fabricatiors special". So if anyone wants to piece a set together, I have a couple sets of unused frame mounts.

Last edited:

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I've got a complete weld on kit - it is VERY beefy. I've also got the 6 bolt mounting plates - I'm very happy with the purchase.

Cage Kit.jpg Joint.jpg

Here is my $800 find - in perfect shape, kingpins with original Ford synthetic grease, hubs spin like a dream, good joints, and 4.10's. I've got brand new loaded calipers and 78 D44 style brake lines for it - going to do a single drop brake setup on this axle.

Dana 60.jpg

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Both arms are designed by Jim Cole, but like stated above he has done some upgardes to the newer versions (Cage's).

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've got CAGE arms, and while I do think that they're just as good if not better than Duff's, the fact that I could drive over to CAGE and pick them up was a large part of my decision to purchase from them. Once you've picked one up personally, you'll begin to think about how expensive shipping them across the country could be.

Rockin69er

My Cage rear brackets look just like the pics by KyleQ. I put 3 bolts per side and then took it to a friend to be welded. I went with Cage for 2 reasons, the better rear brackets and I like gray better than blue. If the bracket is not an issue I would go with whoever has cheaper shipping.

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
Once you've picked one up personally, you'll begin to think about how expensive shipping them across the country could be.
Don't need to think here because I know.......%)

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I would go with whoever has cheaper shipping.

I did a lot of searching and found a vendor who carries all of Cage's stuff and is working hard to get more and more Bronco stuff on his site. He was even able to get me stuff from Cage that wasn't listed on his website for cheaper then what it was listed on Cage's website! Oh - and this guy does free shipping!

Here is the weld on kit - the owner is very cool to deal with, prompt and informative!
Funny thing - after I did some dealing with him he added Bronco to his page title ;D
http://www.knowwhere2jeep.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_87&products_id=10249

bighorn

I have two sets of the original style that I did not use (I custom made a mount that attaches both the front and rear arms on mine) if anyone needs a set. So if anyone wants to piece a set together, I have a couple sets of unused frame mounts.

I'll take those off your hands....sent you a pm

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
I just installed a set of the Duff long arms and they worked great. I looked carefully at the Cage stuff and it appears to be the same. Same angles and so on. The Duff arms were cheaper and when installed with a 5.5" lift it runs perfect down the highway at 80 MPH. I am very satisfied with Duff.

gravy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Parsippany
Those brackets pictured are the same ones I opted for. I stumbled on them when I was getting ready to buy my arms- cage had just changed the design to make it possible to bolt them on. On both cage and duff you will probably have to grind the c castings for the lower spring cups to sit straight. You can get away with not doing it but the springs will bow.