• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

DUI distributor dimension they are HUGE!

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Comments on brands and how big they are? I've seen one on a 351W and it's huge. Are all the HEI style distributors for SBF's the same size?

So the HEI style distributor would be nice (integral coil, ignition box, etc) but how much larger is it than a Duraspark distributor base?

Duraspark base is appr 5" in dia and there is a couple inches btw the intake manifold and the bottom of the plastic housing on the Duraspark. The one HEI style distributor looked like it sat about 4+ inches above the dist hold down bolt!

Thanks

bad 68

Loc.
Northest Washington
Yes you will have to run a offset air cleaner housing. Other than that everything fits on a 351. I am not recomending it. I run one that cost me plenty and now with the MSD 6AL it is simply trigers the ignition. I need to sell it and just run a good distributor.

Desert Dweller

Loc.
Central WA
Don't believe me, huh????;D;D And yeah Brian, I think the answer is YUP, as it is just a Chebby with a FFOrd bottom on it. Besides, if it was any shorter, it wouldn't clear the thermo housing and heater hose outlet. And that's normal (all GM HEI are the same) diameter.

Here's your other option- does use an external coil, however. :cool:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SBF-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Oh, I believe ya brother! : )

I was hoping to find out if other brands might have different dimensions. As you know, yours is the only one I've seen. All but one say they work great. No hurry now that I can adjust my timing.

BTW, the one you referenced as another option...yeah, it won't work...it's the wrong color. :D

Thanks!

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
The DUI HEI will also hit the hood without a body lift most of the time. Great dist. I think you would be better off dumping the MSD box.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just seems like such a clean, clutter free, over the counter/EZ to find parts way to go...

I can dump my coil, my wiring to it including the hi-tension lead, dump the 2 Duraspark boxes and the 5 wires going to the one that's hooked up. Dump the ballast resistor and wiring that goes to it... Dump the spare Duraspark box and coil that I pack for spares....
Fenders are gonna look so much better maybe that big honky distributor won't look so bad after all... then I can buy one of those big lights that blind ya when you over rev so I can dump my MSD7AL rev limiter box...

I'm thinking 5+mpg increase right there!