• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

DUI distributor vs DSII vs rebuild OEM with ignitor II

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am so on the fence here for my FE390. I really like the pertronix ignitor II, but want my distributor rebuilt with a full length bronze bushing like DUI does with their Duraspark II distributor. I know the all in one DUI is also very nice but I am using a Q-jet carb and not sure if the fuel line will get in the way. Are there any great distributor rebuilders anymore/anywhere? A search shows the DUI works with 351W and 302, just not sure about the FE with Q-jet.

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Kind of comes down to preference.
Some of us have had good luck, some of us had bad luck, and some of us are indifferent.
Pretty much with all of the above choices!

I like the idea of a rebuilt stock distributor, but is it cost-effective anymore? If you can find a volume rebuild or maybe the price would be feasible. But somebody that does it once in a while will probably be more expensive than simply buying a brand new one of your choice. Although one advantage to the original, is that you know that it fits!
The all in one, if you mean the Hei with the coil on top, is pretty big. It’s not always about the fuel line though, but also the hood and air filter.
The pertronix is a good option, but like any electronic devices, carry a spare. Or carry a spare set of points to get you home.
Same for Dura spark. Keeping a spare working module is a lifesaver sometimes.
Some of us are still using 40 year old modules, and I’ve never had a problem, while others go through a couple of modules a year.

Just make sure that each spare works before you stash it away for a rainy day.

OP
OP
B

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well said dirt donk!!!
There really is no firm answer
I don't care on the rebuilder "volume", I want quality/reliability.
Rebuilding a nice FE is ridiculously expensive and want to make sure I have a nice American built/curved distributor

OP
OP
B

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good to know, I am leaning that way. I like DUI products, I have their old style TFI distributor in my 71 Bronco. Very high quality.

OP
OP
B

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I went ahead and ordered the DUI with wires, extra modules/tune up kit/ rev limiter. For what the heck this FE is costs to build, no reason to have weak points.