• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Duraspark I New Pickup Coil Sticking

Mikey

Bronco Guru
Installed a brand new Standard LX204 pickup coil in my 74 since my old one broke a wire flush at the pickup. Unlike the old one, I had to tap the new one down to seat it. Now it is sticking and not allowing the vacuum advance to rotate the assembly. Every had this happen? Did I just get a bad part? Should I order another one and try again or grind this one down?

Due to tapping and removing to try to get it on, the magnets are a little loose and plate bent a little and had to bend back straight. Don't think it'll survive another removal.

Yes, I removed the retaining ring.

Thoughts?
Thanks for your help,
Mike

SHX669

Bronco Guru
A couple months ago I bought one from Orielys' - their " better one" - $25-$30. I replaced the old one and besides something being " clocked" wrong and changing my initial timing by 12* it ran like crap . Needless to say i pulled it out and threw it into the " backup part pile"

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Holy cr@p! For that price I could get a new distro!
A chinese generic one with who knows what advance curve in it, sure. Priced a Motorcraft distributor specifically for your Bronco?

I rail against the big chain stores partly because they have distorted the perception of what the price for a good part really is. People seem to think that they should be able to buy quality parts at chinese part prices.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Buy cheap if you want and when your ignition craps out on your vacation how happy will you be knowing you saved a few bucks. I missed Fab Fords last year by 2 blocks because of this 41 year old part. I am glad it didn't drop out on the freeway for the 35 miles I drove down there. I got good life out of the original Ford part. I expect it to out last me. Out here we can be out in the Desert a 100 miles. Do you really want to trust you ignition on crap parts? I wish Motorcraft still made the 1974 ignition box I have replaced 2 of those in the 38 years I've owned this Bronco. Now stuck with aftermarket crap. but I always carry a spare.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The Standard Motors LX204 coil is a good quality part in my experience. The ones I used only needed replacement when the wire insulation cracked after about 15 yrs. It fits loosely enough on the base plate to rotate freely. I can't imagine why it would have to be driven on. Will the old one slip on? If not there may be a burr on bearing surface of the base plate. The Duraspark I was only made in '77 concurrently with the Duraspark II. If you look for parts for the '74 transistorized ignition, Duraspark I parts, like the module or coil will be incorrect.

OP
OP
M

Mikey

Bronco Guru
Well....it's gotta a be a manufacturing defect so out it comes. Yes, the old one slips on and rotated freely. Then saw the fine print that it's NOT a Standard part.....false advert......grrrrr! :mad:

A buddy has a brand new Motorcraft distro so I'll see how much he wants for it. He says it's gathering dust.

If I can't swing it, then I'm going for the NAPA Echlin MP700, I guess.