• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dustless blasting

broncorick

Well I bought a dustless blaster this fall, haven't used it yet BUT I am excited because it will blast and not warp the panels. It uses ground glass with a water slurry that actually cools the metal surface when used. It is an expensive system but I have MANY car projects and will soon pay for itself as
my only other option was dipping (which leaves residue) chemical hand stripping or sanding. They have a web site dustlessblasting.com that shows it working and it looks slick. Will have to rent a high capacity compressor, but with planning can get a lot of work done.!! will keep you posted!

BRONCOBERT

I have seen this thing in action and it looks amazing. Just wondering what prevents the metal from flash rusting since it is being sprayed with water?

OP
OP
broncorick

broncorick

You rinse with a solution that will prevent flash rust for 72 hours so you need to be ready to prime, but once the rinse dries you can prime with no other prep work. Looking forward to using on Broncos and other cars and projects I have

BRONCOBERT

Yes I know you can treat the metal afterwards but the metal will flash rust as soon as water or moisture touches it. I was wondering if a chemical was added to the water and glass at the time of blasting to prevent this.

OldBarnBronco

Yes the chemical is added in the hopper so you are rinsing and blasting at the same time. However, you are supposed to spray the metal with the chemical using one of those lawn fertilizer applicators that you put on a hose. I know because a friend is starting this as a business and I'm helping him out with hopes that we can do this full time. If you have any other questions let me know and I'll try to answer.

andyp

Contributor
Yes the chemical is added in the hopper so you are rinsing and blasting at the same time. However, you are supposed to spray the metal with the chemical using one of those lawn fertilizer applicators that you put on a hose. I know because a friend is starting this as a business and I'm helping him out with hopes that we can do this full time. If you have any other questions let me know and I'll try to answer.

Any updates on this?

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My blasting rig is setup to pressure wash with the holdtight102 mixture which sort of digs the loose acids and salts and such out of the metal, leaving it clean and ready to take paint. In sunlight the hlldtight makes the water evaporate very quickly without flash rust. I'm told that if you wash the body like this it can sit inside out of the weather for a very long time before paint. I can see tho that after it gets covered with dust you'll start to have problems. Mine sat in my shop for a week while I did body work without rusting.

OldBarnBronco

Any updates on this?

Yeah he's keeping busy enough for himself yet. We suspect this Spring and Summer things will get busier with guys wanting to start/finish their projects. Now if it would just warm up and stay above freezing.....

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
This sounds need, but talking with a company that does this in Phoenix, it is designed for smaller parts. If you are doing a full body, you need to be on your game and get it primed that day or sooner. The guy did mention they have a spray on as noted after blasting to protect the metal, but it can fail for no apparent reason and flash rust.