• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

early 69 with vacuum wipers question

snick

Contributor
I have an early 69 that came with vacuum wipers. I want to upgrade to electric wipers. Do the early 69's with vacuum wipers have the same windshield frame wiper post hole spacing as the later 69's with electric wipers OR do they have the wider spacing like the 66-68's with vacuum wipers? I'll measure the distance between wiper post holes when I get home tonight. Thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I always "assumed that they were the same as any other model with vacuum wipers, but can't say I've ever measured them.
A friend does have a '69 who modified an existing full-size pickup wiper mechanism of the same vintage to fit, but that doesn't tell us anything either.

Get the measurement and we can compare to known early and late models so you'll know for sure. But I'm thinking chances are high that it's got the early spacing.

But best of luck! Be nice if you could just drop an electric setup in there and be done with it.
Have you considered the electric conversions with individual motors as an option?

Paul

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
Don't know about the distance but the hole size is smaller so it will have to be drilled out.

OP
OP
S

snick

Contributor
I have considered the individual motors set-up but I've read multiple places that even with the expensive syncronized option, they still aren't very syncronized.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
The vacuum wipers have the holes spaced farther apart than the electrics.
If you decide to convert to factory electric wipers:
You will need to lengthen the linkage on the drivers side by 4 1/8 inches.
The drive head for the wipers is tapered, wider at the base inside than the section that sits outside. Using a stacked drill bit is best, rather than just hogging out both sides to 3/4"... If you decide to go that route.

I just did this conversion on my 68, I took a bunch of pictures... I keep looking for the time to do a write-up, maybe someday.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Agree with 904, all Bronco vacuum wipers need to be spaced further apart because they are not synchronized and need to have a non-interference wipe pattern. Personally I liked the vacuum wipers on my old 69. I liked being able to just turn on the driver's side. My current 69 is a later one and has electric wipers.

OP
OP
S

snick

Contributor
Thanks for the input. Unfortunately all of you were correct - I measured tonight and my vacuum post holes are 24" apart. I found one post that said his 76 holes were 19-7/8" apart. 904Bronco I will definitely be checking out your pics, thanks.

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
I have a setup if you are interested. I modified the electric linkage from a 74. Just lengthened it to make it align with the existing holes. It comes with the motor and a soft top drop bracket. I decided to just go with the smaller twin electric motors for a cleaner look and that works for me since I only drive it in good weather. Send me a PM if you're interested.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Thanks for the input. Unfortunately all of you were correct - I measured tonight and my vacuum post holes are 24" apart. I found one post that said his 76 holes were 19-7/8" apart. 904Bronco I will definitely be checking out your pics, thanks.

Alright then... I will try and get them up on this thread in the next few days...