• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Early Bronco body on a late Bronco frame?

4byford

Loc.
Yucca Valley CA
Hope you can all work it out-

Funny how tube frames, various drivetrains, chassis parts, stretched wheelbases, widened this-or-that, etc. don't raise an eyebrow, but an all FOMOCO chassis swap (from a Bronco no less) with BETTER parts gets put down.... I guess I just don't get it.

To each his own.

OP
OP
D

Dave St

Loc.
Roanoke, VA
I still don't get it either. I am really interested if anyone has a mechanical reason why this would not be a good thing. Frankly, I do not see a down side. If I took the parts in question (PS, PB, Dana 44, C6, front discs, etc.) from several different vehicles and adapted them over, no one has a problem. But if I take them all from one vehicle, then it is treated with derision.

Someone stated it would be okay if I didn't take it 4 wheelin'. Why? Would not the end result be a more capable off road vehicle than my mostly stock '70? I think that all of the modifications done separately (other than the frame, which I previously stated was a drawback) are generally accepted by most everyone.

Someone else stated that this is similar to putting a Ferrari body on a VW. I disagree because the result would in no way be near the performance of the ferrari, whereas the project I am contemplating would offer better performance.

I am still waiting for an actual mechanical reason why this project would be inferior to repairing or replacing my current frame.

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
[quote author=HNRYS69 link=board=5;threadid=15990;start=0#msg121710 date=1049502254]
backyard bullsh!t is kinda trashy...
[/quote]

hummmmmm............isn't that what we all do?

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
[quote author=Bronco_Rider link=board=5;threadid=15990;start=0#msg121744 date=1049507204]
[quote author=HNRYS69 link=board=5;threadid=15990;start=0#msg121710 date=1049502254]
buy an EB frame and do it right, backyard bullsh!t is kinda trashy...
[/quote]

On might think you don't have the confidence, skill or abilities to undertake a project like this.

I am working to set up a web page to share pictures of this project.

Consider this,
What would it cost to add this to your Bronco?

A new 3 member and 31 spline axles and larger brakes
A high pinion dana 44 with power disc brakes,
Power steering and quad shocks
A New Process 205 transfer case
Room for a wider radiator
For less than $650.00 ??
And
Satisfaction of a job well done

Priceless!

It is best not to judge until you have seen the end product.

Bronco_Rider

[/quote]

makes sense to me.......you know if it works, thats all that counts. Sometimes one wants to think outside the "box" Does this make someone bad? Is it a sin to work with what you got?

"On (One ?)might think you don't have the confidence, skill or abilities to undertake a project like this."

This is an honest assumption based on this comment "....backyard bullsh!t is kinda trashy..."

cant allways have a closed mind.......but never the less its an opinion. ;D

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
I have allways disliked Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge bullshit.....Its ignorant........Buts that my opinion.....so there ;D ;)

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
Can I get in here too ? I'm a Ford guy period ! I can't see putting a junk Chevy engine in a Bronco or street rod or any other Ford product. I don't see anything wrong with putting the EB body on a cut down larger frame. If you were to chop up a perfect early Bronco to do it , I'd be a little more than pissed. Some of the same people who don't like the idea would gladly except a fiberglass body as a EB and it's NOT ! As long as you are keeping it all FORD I'll except you as one of us.

Kinda like dog breeding people mix and match within the SAME breed to come up with something bigger, or stronger, or meaner all the time. But as soon as you mix with another breed it's just a MUTT ;D I have a Rottweiler that was built that way.... BIGGER, MEANER, STRONGER, SMARTER. He is the BEST he can be and still within his breed. I also have a NOTweiler and she's Okay too ;D
Just have fun with what you are doing. Some will like what you did and some won't, just don't build a MUTT ;)

Bronco_Rider

Loc.
Brentwood, Ca
[quote author=jeepster link=board=5;threadid=15990;start=15#msg122032 date=1049643346]
I have allways disliked Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge bullshit.....Its ignorant........Buts that my opinion.....so there ;D ;)
[/quote]

It all depends upon if it is good nature kidding or if it gets down right nasty. My best friend drove a Chey 4 wheel drive and I had a Ford. We shared many good times together and shared many memories. He did finally buy a Ford 4 wheel drive before he died.
"God rest his soul"

Bronco_Rider

mramler

Loc.
Omaha, Nebraska
hi Dave,welcome to the forum. Putting an EB body on a 78/79 BB frame has been done. The one's Ive seen have been built almost strictly for mud though. I've been planning on doing this for awhile. I've got all the parts, just need some time. I'd check into using an OffRoadDesign NP203 doubler...a pretty good buy to lower your gears x2 taking advantage of that stretched wheelbase of the big bronco ;) I wouldn't recommend keeping either the 351m or 400. Most people swap in a 460 though a 302/351w will bolt up also without the weight penalty of a bigblock 429/460. You'll have to get a C6 that will bolt to a small block if you use a 302/351w though. Let me know if you find any writeups. I got as far as test fitting the body and have the project on hold until I get the body work of my other 2 EB's done ;D

mxpaz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
KC
Sounds like you already have your mind made up. The big Broncos frames are about 11" wider and are not as strong as the EB. If you think its easier to cut up a frame and make it shorter and make the body fit on the frame then go for it. Maybe for the past 25 years nobody thought of how good it would be to use a weaker framed vehicle for a swap. You may be leap years ahead of everyone else. Or it could be that people use the best of both vehicles to make one good one. The frame is one of the best things about a EB. Putting a HP 44 in is a easy swap. Putting 31 spline axles is a easy swap. Thats why nobody does it . Its a hell of a lot easier to upgrade a EB that what you are about to do. But its yours so go for it.

Bronco_Rider

Loc.
Brentwood, Ca
Hi,
What I have observed doing the conversion.
The 78 frame is boxed near the engine are then is channel toward the rear. The 78 frame wall is thicker, 3/16" and is 6" tall vs 4" and 1/8" thick on the 71. The frame is 2" taller, "and stronger" The taller frame gives the tires 2 more inches of clearance. The frame is about 6" wider that the stock Bronco frame. Fabbed some offset brackets and used the OEM bumpers and holes.
The wider frame allows you to run a radiator up to 30" wide.
Computer took a dump but I am meeting my son tonight to get some pictures posted on a web page.

It is a ton of work bur worth it.

Bronco_Rider

KST1

I will come in here along the lines of what Jeepster said. I think that the majority of the "this versus that or the other" debates end up on the high side of ridiculus. Run what you brung and have fun! I just feel lucky that I ended up with an EB (it's fiberglass though so it might not count).

As for the dog breed comparison, has anyone ever heard of hybrid vigor? It comes from Mendel's pea plant experiments where crossbred plants produced bigger,better, and more peas. The same thing is used in the breeding of livestock. As with custom trucks, you've got to know what you're doing and be careful or you'll end up with something you don't want. If you are careful and know what you're doing you might end up with something bigger and better.

;) -D

carnage351

Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
[quote author=Bronco_Rider link=board=5;threadid=15990;start=15#msg122193 date=1049681268]
Hi,
What I have observed doing the conversion.
The 78 frame is boxed near the engine are then is channel toward the rear. The 78 frame wall is thicker, 3/16" and is 6" tall vs 4" and 1/8" thick on the 71. The frame is 2" taller, "and stronger" The taller frame gives the tires 2 more inches of clearance. The frame is about 6" wider that the stock Bronco frame. Fabbed some offset brackets and used the OEM bumpers and holes.
The wider frame allows you to run a radiator up to 30" wide.
Computer took a dump but I am meeting my son tonight to get some pictures posted on a web page.

It is a ton of work bur worth it.

Bronco_Rider
[/quote]

On this I think that I have to dissagree some. Yes a big Bronco frame is tall and made of thicker steel, but every big bronco that I have driven in or owned has more frame flex than the EB's do. Now shortening the frame may help remove some of this flex but a box is much more ridged than a c channel. If this isn't true, than why would ford be going back to a fully baxed frame in the 2004 F150. They went to the C channle frame cause it was cheaper to make and had to add the extra highth and thickness to make up for the loss of the box.

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
[quote author=KST1 link=board=5;threadid=15990;start=30#msg122666 date=1049822463]
I will come in here along the lines of what Jeepster said. I think that the majority of the "this versus that or the other" debates end up on the high side of ridiculus. Run what you brung and have fun! I just feel lucky that I ended up with an EB (it's fiberglass though so it might not count).

As for the dog breed comparison, has anyone ever heard of hybrid vigor? It comes from Mendel's pea plant experiments where crossbred plants produced bigger,better, and more peas. The same thing is used in the breeding of livestock. As with custom trucks, you've got to know what you're doing and be careful or you'll end up with something you don't want. If you are careful and know what you're doing you might end up with something bigger and better.

;) -D
[/quote] Well, they didn't mix those peas with oranges to get bigger peas. And when they made Frankenstien , he turned out bigger and stronger but he wasn't a nice guy. Probably would have turned out a nice guy if they didn't put a Chevy guys brain in there ;)

Bronco_Rider

Loc.
Brentwood, Ca
Hi,
Tec Writer reloaded the pictures and you can judge for your self. You will need to scroll down a half dozen posts until the pictures come up.
The thread is:
Pic early bronco on a 78 bronco frame.

Bronco_Rider

....and the Chevy engines stays

mramler

Loc.
Omaha, Nebraska
I was wondering if someone was going to jump in and say Ford was using the boxed frame again in 2004. As far as not using a BigBonco frame for a swap because it's weak...I wouldn't worry too much. Look at the weight it was designed to support! Being from the midwest, I do know that if you see rusted out rockers and floorboards on an EB(or novice repair jobs)...the frame around the rear shock mounts is probably getting thin also. Good Luck-

rflud

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Modesto, CA
Hey Bronco_Rider - the name is rflud (Ryan Flud). I saw you call me Tech Writer earlier, just thought I'd let you know.

Here's the pics so you don't have to go to the other link.

Personally I think it looks good. Though I would change the tires. I'm not sure it's worth the trouble though.

71on78frame1.jpg

71on78frame2.jpg

Bronco_Rider

Loc.
Brentwood, Ca
Hi Ryan,
The wheels and tires will go as soon as I get the Bronco on the road. ...... and $1400.00
Going with 17x10 Eagles, 5" backset, and 33-12.5-17 Pro Comp Tires
Hey, Turlock is only several hours away. Hope to meet you soon.

Bronco Rider