• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

early bronco build up questions from a newbie

ricky

Loc.
beaumon,texas 77706
first off,wanted to say hello everyone,some really nice info and trucks on here! i'm looking to build a early style bronco into a nice play toy,and somewhat dependable ..i'm fairly mechanically inclined being around mustangs for several years,i wanted to ask a few questions and see if i can get any advice on my buildup..first off,i'm in Beaumont,Texas and can't seem to find any broncos around here,.anyone know of any good websites to look for one at? in SE texas? i'm looking for something in the years 1966-1976 ,whats the main difference in those years? in the drivetrain? i have a nice built 347 with highports,etc that i'm going to install in it,along with a s trim vortech and dfi,should make around 500 problem free hp..as for trans,i'm guessing it will be best to go with an aod, since i do plan on driving it alot...is there enough room to use the bracketry off a 87-93 mustang along with the alt,and power steering ? also,what year broncos came with a/c? i've noticed a few places selling them,and was wondering if i could make the compressor work that came off my 1993 mustang..as for transfer case,i'll prob go with a 205 that i can get cheap.,looking at a 5.5 lift,and wanting to run 15-10 or 12" wide wheels with 35" tires..probably go with 4.56's since i'll have over drive..on exhaust,who makes a 1 5/8 primary tube header for these trucks? would like to run 3.5 out the back...ANY advice appreciated on the buildup,thanks again

tworedballs

Loc.
Satellite Beach
Welcome to the forum! That's alot to digest in one sitting, so I'd suggest starting several different posts asking a single question each. You'll probably get better responses that way. As far as the tech specs, you should try calling one of the parts distributors for broncos. Most of them (that I have dealt with) are staffed by bronco owners and can help you out on thephone with most anything you need. Bronco Graveyard, Wild Horses 4x4, Tom's bronco parts, B.C. Broncos, etc. are a few that can point you in the right direction.

With the mods I've seen in some of the pics on this site, most anything is possible with an engine/trans combination and cutting the tranny tunnel. Half of the modifications they sell at the bronco parts specialty stores require cutting of the body anyways, so you'll be in good company. You'll prpbably find that a body lift will help you through some of your design as you'll get extra clearance for things like shifter linkage, etc. and if you're running 35's it wouldn't hurt either.

Good luck with the search for a builder. You should be able to find a great rig with little rust in Texas.

grant_71

Bronco Guru
First thing check out the for sale ads on here, or post a wanted ad, you are registered so you can do that, 500hp in a bronco is a lot, sounds like a good way to be snapping ujoins, axles and driveshafts, especially when the 12" wide 35's hook into something nasty, but, sounds like you got a pretty good idea of what you re doing mechanically, so i will leave that alone. The alternator and p/s SHOULD fit, anything can be made to fit, but in the world of bronco's nothing is as it seems. As far as the A/C it was not a factory install, but a dealer option, you can still get kits used on eBay or maybe even New from Vintage Air. And if you want to get some more info with out sorting through all the threads, when you go to the main forums page, under your name on the right side is the Search button, and it should lead you to more information than you could imagine. Good luck in your search and welcome to the asylum, we like it here.

Grant

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
If you run the aod with 35's you may want to bump the gears up to 4:88 or more. With the standard 1/1 top end tranny 4:56 work nice with 35's. #5's are nice on 10" wide rims. You als may need to run a body lift to clear that tranny and t-case. That may lead to only needing a 3 1/2" susp. to run the 35's. Chck out bc bronco. They're in texas now. He also makes bronco specific headers that should fit any drivetrain combo.

OP
OP
ricky

ricky

Loc.
beaumon,texas 77706
hey there guys,thanks for all the info..i'm pretty excited on getting one and getting started,i actually thought of taking the running gear out of my 1993 truck,since it was totaled a few years back,i'll look and see if the title still says totaled,if so,i might just use the parts off of it,it's really a clean truck,but it would be hard to sell,i fixed it all,but it was originally a two wheel drive..put an aod in it with a 205,15" lift and a hig pinion hd 44 in the front,and 60 in the rear with 16.5-15 welds,and 39-18.50 m/t's if i could post a pic,i would..anyway,the motor stuff really is not a bigh deal for me,it's nothing to get 500 or so out of a 347 with decent heads/intake and a blower..i was thinking that route rather than a na 393/408 cause i plan to drive it a decent amount..i did look in the classisifed,and also posted a want ad

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Why do you need so much HP?. In a 4x it's more about gearing. Too much HP will just break parts. You would be better off with a mild 347 or stock 351 and the right gearing. If you plan to drive it alot you may want to re-think the motor build-up and put the $$ elsewhere.

OP
OP
ricky

ricky

Loc.
beaumon,texas 77706
well,i just have the parts laying around,so wanted to use them..i don't want something that can't get out of it's own way..we shall see,there are a couple options i can take,but first,i gotta get a bronco,lol

mr incredible

Bronco Guru
heck , the ol broncos are light ,,,so much power , will make it real squirrly ,, better drive it with a feather ,on the throttle ,,,,

jdub1233

Seriously, 500 hp for a driver is ridiculous, and 3.5 inch exhaust is gonna be so loud you'll get some tickets. You better put your money into some power disc brakes and save the rest for tickets.

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
Make sure that that engine is cammed for low end power. That thing is going to break some parts. Plan on expensive axel, tranmission, brake, transfer case and other upgrades. I went with 335 H.P. & 400 Ft. Lbs. of torque and I have a feeling that I am going to break things if I get on it.

OP
OP
ricky

ricky

Loc.
beaumon,texas 77706
ok,at least i have the parts,i can just decide when i make it that far,lol still trying to find a decent body around here..sigh